The black bee

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi mbc,
Sorry but I can't read what is written on the poster not even in word doc.
Regards;
Strange method of expanding a .gif image to make it larger?
If you are using Firefox ctrl_+ will zoom in. Alternatively use the browser task bar View tab > zoom > zoom in
If you are using IE I can't help you, it's obviously an OS problem - you chose the wrong one :grouphug:

Readbllity not a problem. :)

on IE bottom right conner theres a 100% just left click on it and set at what u want

Don't keep putting yourself down. :)
As it said, Spring nucs and queens are all sold and May/June is likely to be next opportunity.
As also stated, these are offered as breeder queens and not just replacements. You will have noticed that they are certainly not cheap.

Hedgerow Pete might have been interested if you could move the decimal point in the price, but now that he realises just how productive his Carni's are he might not be as bothered in seeking out AMM black bees after all. :)

Certainly not at those prices . . .

Check oput the galtee breeding group if you dont believe in amm

Haven't they stopped supplying queens to 'outsiders' and hence are, for all practical purposes, no longer relevant other than to a small extremely local clique?

Haven't they stopped supplying queens to 'outsiders' and hence are, for all practical purposes, no longer relevant other than to a small extremely local clique?

As I understand it they'll send out virgins but consider mated queens too precious to let out of their area
They were just an example, there are other amm buffs on the green isle and our side of the water too with excellent morphometrically proven and genetically proven pure amm stock .
Isnt it time for people who continue denying theyre existance to stop spreading missinformation?

I for one am certainly not denying they exist, but importing virgins and getting open matings in areas flooded with drones from Hawaii/New Zealand/Greece/Slovenia etc is a complete waste of time and effort.

There are far too many imports to make AMM sustainable in vast areas of England and probably the whole of the UK. On isolated island sites, or in remote valleys you might be slightly luckier, but 85 quid on a queen (from the link above) is IMHO a waste of money and will do nothing to expand the range of AMM in the area of the purchaser. Also with II, and a limited gene pool at the source, buying in say a couple of dozen queens and flooding your local area with AMM drones will in all probability achieve nothing long term but lighten your pocket and weigh down that of the supplier, not because the matings will be bad, but because of the continual dilution of the gene pool with 'unwanted' outsiders.

For the vast majority, regardless of urban or rural location, local mongrels, are almost inevitably the only way forward unless we stop all imports of none native strains.

Last edited:
I for one am certainly not denying they exist, but importing virgins and getting open matings in areas flooded with drones from Hawaii/New Zealand/Greece/Slovenia etc is a complete waste of time and effort.
There are far too many imports to make AMM sustainable in vast areas of England and probably the whole of the UK.
I'm with m100 (and others with similar opinions) on this one. Personally I really cannot see what this predilection for attempting to globally resurrect amm within the British Isles is all about.

Whilst I have no doubt that there are instances where pure amm might exist within the UK (although I very much doubt there are as many as envisioned) to me it is sheer folly to even begin to think that such a breeding programme is in any way viable long-term.

For whatever reason, nature chose to see fit, the indigenous population of amm in this country was decimated with the IOW incident. Given the principle of the survival of the fittest, there is little chance that pure amm would fare any better now if exposed to the multitude of pathogens & other external factors currently adversely affecting bee populations in general.

The fact that there are isolated instances of amm is due in no small part to the very fact that they are indeed isolated.

In my opinion, like it or not, amm has “had its day” as the principle indigenous race in this country. However, that is not to say that, in principle, "we" shouldn't try to prevent its demise.

Regards
BD

Vast areas of the country were unaware of any IOW incident and continued as before - only considered isolated areas because they are outside areas of political influence
I'm a fan of bees that do well in an area regardless of race , however the continuing existence of pure amm is a good thing from a biodiversity point of view

Sorry to say but AMM is alive and well in a great deal of Scotland and probably in some quiet corners of England too.

I ran pretty much nothing but AMM for 20 years so please stop telling the world that a, they dinna exist, and b, they were no use.

Because those who do say these things are making themselves look more than a little silly.

I had over 300lb from an AMM colony. I was happy with that.

I had excellent matings in adverse weather, I was happy with that too.

They were a bit stroppy at times which was not so good but you get used to it.

They were good bees. and whilst I think of it they were very prone to supercede on the Heather which was an excellent trait. I would say some 50% did so.

"For whatever reason, nature chose to see fit, the indigenous population of amm in this country was decimated with the IOW incident. Given the principle of the survival of the fittest, there is little chance that pure amm would fare any better now if exposed to the multitude of pathogens & other external factors currently adversely affecting bee populations in general."

Good to see that Brother Adams party line, which was rubbish even when he first spouted it, is stll being rounded up. It IS rubbish by the way. He was 16 or so at the time and a novice. How on earth would he have known what was going on more than a few miles from his Monastry. Think about it please.

It suited him later on to push that line and he did AMM a massive dis-service.

PH

Last edited:
however the continuing existence of pure amm is a good thing from a biodiversity point of view

<ding>

Isolated island sites will sooner or later get corrupted with imports, or varroa, so they will eventually disappear so someone has to make it happen on a nationwide scale.

85 quid II queens won't make an impact on anyone's beekeeping, bring them down to a fiver and supply 5 frame nucs boiling over with bees at 20 quid and then we could drive the foreigners back to where they belong.

Hell if I win the lottery (and I'm not talking a tenner) I'll buy you all half a dozen colonies each!

Thanks for the offer m100 but I'm happy with what I've got.
No island. no real isolation, periodic corruption from imports but still happy:)

M100 if you want nucs at £20 you will have to talk to Thornes,their frames+foundation alone cost more than that.

Admin, I'd only talk to them if they didn't charge 20 quid for 5 frames and sheets of foundation. In the new world order we'd probably have to arrange a new 'offshore' frame and foundation supplier.

Local native bees, in foreign hives :D

Sorry to say but AMM is alive and well in a great deal of Scotland and probably in some quiet corners of England too. PH
Thank you. I am actually aware of that. There is nothing in my comments which would suggest otherwise.
I ran pretty much nothing but AMM for 20 years so please stop telling the world that a, they dinna exist, and b, they were no use.
Because those who do say these things are making themselves look more than a little silly. PH
You seem to have missed the point here. I can’t find any post which even remotely eludes to the fact that amm never existed or that they were no use, both of which are of course sheer nonsense. What is in debate as far as I am concerned is the notion that amm can be restored to its former status as the dominant indigenous bee in the UK. It simply isn’t going to happen. Even a cursory look at the logistics of such an undertaking would highlight the futility of any such aspiration. Surely you’re not seriously suggesting that this is possible. I, like many others no doubt, would be very interested to hear your views on how this could be achieved.
Good to see that Brother Adams party line, which was rubbish even when he first spouted it, is still being rounded up. It IS rubbish by the way. He was 16 or so at the time and a novice. How on earth would he have known what was going on more than a few miles from his Monastry. Think about it please. It suited him later on to push that line and he did AMM a massive dis-service. PH
I’m sorry but was that really a serious comment? Are you actually suggesting that Brother Adam didn’t know what he was talking about? Are you really asking us to believe that despite him being published across the globe and on whose principles of breeding, a significant number of breeders base their practice, that apart from your good self, the rest of us appear to have been hoodwinked? I don’t think so.

With respect to your comment about Bro Adam “not knowing what was going on more than a few miles from his monastery”. I can only assume that he must, by some divine intervention, have mastered the art of travel, during his well documented extensive intercontinental visits gathering specimens of queens for his breeding programme!

Finally, how in heavens name do you suppose that Bro Adam “did a massive disservice to amm”?

Regards
BD

Many of Bro Adams practices had no real world applications, assuming not everyone has a large unpayed workforce

Many of Bro Adams practices had no real world applications, assuming not everyone has a large unpayed workforce

I see. Would you care to enlighten me. Which of these "many practices" did you have in mind? Was it the one in 1917 where he developed the Buckfast bee which had resistance to the very same parasite which decimated amm, (killing incidently, 30 of his 46 colonies)? Or perhaps was it the one in 1977 when he was awarded the OBE, goodness knows what for :rolleyes: I know... its the one where Exeter University appointed him a honorary Doctor in 1989 as official recognition of his scientific research? Spot a pattern here? You might also like to contact IBRA and just let them know that one of their founder members of the board was secretly trying to irradicate amm in favour of amc & aml, which as it turns out, just happens to be the very bees in his 16 surviving colonies. Ooooooppppps.:svengo:

Regards
BD

I see. Would you care to enlighten me. Which of these "many practices" did you have in mind?
Bdaddy I'm not denying he was a dedicated bee man and ahead of his time but one example of his particular situation being different to 'normal' peoples experience is a photo that springs to my mind of sugar being mixed in a sunken swimming pool sort of arrangement with several bored looking monks stirring it with enormous wooden spoons .

Members do you think we can now put this disscussion of the black bee or Apis mm breeding sites to bed as in reality its getting nowhere and will be going nowhere.

Regards;

Members do you think we can now put this disscussion of the black bee or Apis mm breeding sites to bed as in reality its getting nowhere and will be going nowhere.

Regards;

:hurray:

Back