Hive straps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hachi

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Damn! A lot more than I ever thought I'd have
Does anyone know where I can buy any of those yellow hive straps that came with my poly hives?

Or; alternatively, know where I can buy the 1" wide strap in bulk to make my own that do not turn to dust after a year of use?

I've had the same problem they just disintegrate in the sun, im thinking of using rubber inner tubes just got to figure out how to attach them

I bought a pack of ratchet straps and straps with the single clip from Lidl last year. They've been okay for longer than the ones they replaced, but haven't really yet been tested with any serious amount of sunshine.

I've been tempted to trawl ebay for replacement uv resistent webbing, because the working bits on the ones that fell apart are still okay, but have never quite got round to looking.

Last edited:
My last lot were from Aldi,, £10 for 4... plus bungee ties..

Screwfix. 6 years on, still as new (although a little grubby!)

I use the pale blue 25mm wide, 5m long ones.

A few places on the interweb also sell identical ones.

Ikea do some luggage straps which do the job, but a little expensive I thought at the time. Some builders merchants do some good deals on various straps for load carrying that would do the trick. Just a case of shopping around for best price.:)

Screwfix. 6 years on, still as new (although a little grubby!)

I use the pale blue 25mm wide, 5m long ones.

A few places on the interweb also sell identical ones.

:yeahthat:

They were on sale last time I was in there a week or so ago I think 2 for £8. they seem good quality.

http://www.theratchetshop.com/ratchet-straps.html

These straps are very good quality and last a long time

:iagree: mine are still going strong yeara on and their prices are reasonable, I usually buy a few each year at the Royal Welsh Show. The ones you get from big T's seem to last well also (although a quick squirt with the 'holy water' occasionally stops them going stiff.

:eek::eek: "Holy water" you don't P on them JBM for chrissakes :nono::nono:

Lay flat water pipe, to cover the parts in the direct sun will solve the problem of degradation and make them last a lot longer. Ensure the ratchets are underneath or under the roof for over-wintering.

Cheap as chips if found at a sale and/or second hand leaking water....

B&M sells them if you have one near you about £2 for 2 that's what I paid and they are ok leave mine out all year and still good

Does anyone know where I can buy any of those yellow hive straps that came with my poly hives?

Or; alternatively, know where I can buy the 1" wide strap in bulk to make my own that do not turn to dust after a year of use?

The yellow straps or any pale colour seem to suffer ultra violet degradation far more than dark light impervious ones. When I was working at the glucose refinery the control systems used a lot of pneumatics via colour coded plastic pipes. The pipes which ran in sunlight would regularly fail and leak. After we realised the cause we changed to black pipes with identifiers at each end. The surface faded but underneath remained sound for years.
I'd suggest you apply the same principle. If you can't get black perhaps dark blue will be longer lived.

I will sell you some 1" webbing if you like, I use it for something else but can sell you some?
Just pm me if youre interested.

Last edited:
I always find the same with wellies & waders, green ones always crack & leak after a year or so with the sunlight degrading them, but black doesn't, you would think black as it absorbs heat would be worse, but it isn't. that's rubber though poly propylene or nylon may be different.
Ratchet straps on wagons they strap heavy loads with tend to be green, isnt that a worry?

Last edited:
What are they made of? Nylon or Polyester do you know?

I've ordered mine from Ratchet shop on the recommendation of a wise old sage of this parish. He usually has it spot on.

I've had the same problem they just disintegrate in the sun, im thinking of using rubber inner tubes just got to figure out how to attach them

We cut in stripes ( transversely, to don't cut wrong) inner tubes and use for transporting hives in migratory beekeeping ( one lang or 2 lang box high hive). Also I use it when making splits, recently one hive felt off from wheelbarrow and it holds the hive together.
Cost nothing and can make a lot from one inner tube. We are looking for ones for tractor..

Latest posts

Back