Suggestions/solutions?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strips of 1/4 ply pinned on the top edge of the BB, that was already suggested which is why i didnt mention it �� there, saved from the wrath of a pussy cat :icon_204-2:

:) No, I meant if you just remove the QE and super for now then the frames will still be too high for the crown board and so the bee space between the frame and board will be too small. The bees may 'glue' it down to the tops of the brood frames, plus if the super was put on instead, then the bee space between the top of brood frame and bottom of super frame would be wrong and they may use burr comb to glue those two together.
Best plan is to bite the bullet and correct the fault now before things get busy and make the job harder. Just my thought on this. :)

You are bound to need a second hive - so why don't you check that the second one is all correct, transfer the bees, then sort out this one, which will be much easier without bees in it :)

Wow, just checked in, didn't expect so many replies, thank you all!

The weather is supposed to be a bit better for the next few days, so may have a little look then and see what I can do, but I'm on holiday for a week from friday, so am tempted just to leave them be for now, with brood box, crown board and roof and then have less pressure sorting out when back.

It was a brand new hive from ebay, not a cheapy one, and yes, while the runners seemed like a good idea, they may not have been right for this hive.

I may end up removing them and putting it down to experience, it's clear it was the higher frames the QE was resting on so without them everyone should be happier!

I also like your idea, pargyle, on adding a bit of height to the box, will look certainly look into it....and your thread!

Equally, like the idea of having brood and super for Queen and just adding QE and another super when needed.

So much to think about, but feel a lot less silly and more positive now!

A tip for getting the runners at exactly the right height:

Put two frames (or just top bars) in the box and turn the box upside down on a flat surface.
Slide one frame to each end of the box.
Rest the runners on the frame lugs and nail/screw the runners to the box.
The frames will now be exactly level with the top of the box.

(a lot easier doing it than explaining it)

I don't know if I need more or less drink to get my head round that!

Latest posts

Back