Anti theft measures

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps use a trip-wire that, rather than setting off a cartridge, sprays the perpetrator with banana flavouring or alarm pheromone.... isn't that supposed to put the bees in defensive mode?

Perhaps use a trip-wire that, rather than setting off a cartridge, sprays the perpetrator with banana flavouring or alarm pheromone.... isn't that supposed to put the bees in defensive mode?

Do you not think they would be in bee suits?

what if they are allergic to bananas or get ethyl alcohol on their sensitive skins... you would not want to get sued.

Must remember these thieves are 'delicate flowers' trying to gain an easy route by hijacking other peoples hard work.
It they were not soft and\or lazy they would work for a living like regular folk.

One of my Sits had a goose and a gander roaming 24 7 and they are bloody vicious had a few problem my self with them for the first cople of months but now they know me are ok but makes me smile at the thort of some one geting stung and then goosed at the same time

Sounds as though you're into bowls?

Attachments

• Beryl Cook — Liss Gallery - Toronto, Canada | Contemporary fine art, original paintings, photogr.pdf
    117.4 KB · Views: 23
This would work for beehives.

A farmer friend of mine has had a spate of batteries being pinched off his irrigators. He decided to buy a new battery, removed the acid and cut a hole in the case under the sticky label, washed out the remaining acid and placed a small tracker inside, filled the battery with dry sand to the original weight of the battery, stuck the battery case back together and replaced the battery label over the repaired part of the case. He connected it back to an irrigator which had been used, and waited. That night the battery began to move. Police informed and were told not to follow. He could not resist and tracked the battery to a house and the police recovered numerous batteries, tractor sat nav units and other stolen items estimated value over £4000.

Mike

I read an article with regards to pictures posted online and being able to find gps position from the meta data within the picture . a bit scarry isnt it .

I read an article with regards to pictures posted online and being able to find gps position from the meta data within the picture . a bit scarry isnt it .

I believe a lot of cameras now allocated gps details to each pic in the "properties" of the pic.

I allus say "you can't beat a nice piece of hickory" - Clint Eastwood in Pale Rider

most smart phones, e.g. Android and iPhone :- people forget when they upload pictures direct from phone to internet, it contains the GPS coords, where the picture was taken!

I upset some friends of mine, when I told them where their kids go to school, because they'd uploaded pictures to the Internet, leaving this info, in the pictures!

It's also similar to the number of people, that leave the default username and password on their WiFi router!

I have been keeping bees for 6 years. This year I saw an email written by a member of the local BBKA that it is not possible for someone living in this area that keeps as many bees as me, and not known by the association.

Rather arrogant, but goes to show that it IS possible to keep a good number of bees and still stay under the radar. (without trying!)

Association meetings are published on the internet, and is not difficult finding names that are attached the association. Once you have a name, it is quite easy to work out their address.
'if' there is a meeting, and you know they are regulars, you know the dates when they will be out of the house in the evening, never mind not anywhere their bees.

Social networking has helped criminals considerably due to the current 'look at me' crazes posting photos of themselves and telling people what they are doing and where they are doing it, such as on Facebook and Twitter.
If I were a criminal (or am I?) would I really scour this forum to work out what security devices 'might' be used in an area covering several hundred square miles. If I were criminal, there are much easier ways of making a living.

'some' beekeepers give stonking clues to apiary's whereabouts on their facebook pages!

Exactly why you would never see a good gamekeeper in the village pub on a friday night. :spy:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back