Anti theft measures

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idg

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
What are peoples tips on trying to eliminate hive thefts? Is there a favoured technology, or do people mechanically secure them?

What are peoples tips on trying to eliminate hive thefts? Is there a favoured technology, or do people mechanically secure them?

Do you really think people will give these secrets away so thieves know what to look for? If they do they deserve to have them stolen.😆

thinking about buying a few trip mines.

I would connect them to the hive, so if picked up, the cartridge will go off. As long as there in no threat to the perpetrator, it is perfectly legal.

I am thinking about doing something with a gps pack or with an old set of telemetry. (which would remain off until the hive is lifted)

I have seen alarms that text you, but if it is in the back of a van, I am not entirely sure that would help.

Do you really think people will give these secrets away so thieves know what to look for? If they do they deserve to have them stolen.��

only really helps if the thief knows the victim, or the hives whereabouts.

unlikely to gain a clue of the hives position, or what it looks like by having the location as 'midlands'.

all of my hives are in North Wiltshire and south Gloucestershire. If I were to say I have defensive measures in some places (webcams), and am considering trips, I do not believe they are any greater or lesser likely to get stolen.

like most things, if a thief wants it badly enough they will get it, the best one I have seen was a chain running from the mesh floor to a concrete block, not to secure the hive down, but to pull the mesh off, should thieves try lifting it, thus getting, hopefully a few stings from the bees

What about a chain running around each brood box in the apiary? The supers could then be stolen, but the bees should not without a lot of hassle.

only really helps if the thief knows the victim, or the hives whereabouts.

unlikely to gain a clue of the hives position, or what it looks like by having the location as 'midlands'.

all of my hives are in North Wiltshire and south Gloucestershire. If I were to say I have defensive measures in some places (webcams), and am considering trips, I do not believe they are any greater or lesser likely to get stolen.

if a potential thief was to ask this question on here which they could, it would give them an idea of what to watch for when stealing hives if people posted the types of security they use, better to keep them guessing & more chance of getting caught. They don't need to know whos hives are where but if they know where there are hives & know what types of security we might use then it can only help them. But feel free to give away your ideas, that's not my problem.

IMHO it is better to say there may be some security measures, than not. A deterrent.

'some' have webcams, 'some' may have trips shortly and 'some' GPS or radio emitters. Most do not know where my hives are, so therefore there is some sort of deterrent for others in my area.

In most case, dummy CCTC cameras are as effective as a real one.

If wannabe thief's know many beekeepers have security measures, then the tamer breed will be put off due to uncertainty. As Dexter said, if they REALLY want to steal them, very little will stop them regardless.

The best form of security (other than a Doberman carrying a shotgun), is to keep them hidden. Mine are stained so they blend in with the background, and in places where even the most adventurous rambler does not go.

A few years ago (when I had time!), I made a sentry gun (as per the extended cut of the film 'Aliens') that fired paint balls. Would be great to utilise something like this, but if a 'poor thief' gets hurt by a security device, the victim will be charged.

I have been keeping bees for 6 years. This year I saw an email written by a member of the local BBKA that it is not possible for someone living in this area that keeps as many bees as me, and not known by the association.

Rather arrogant, but goes to show that it IS possible to keep a good number of bees and still stay under the radar. (without trying!)

Association meetings are published on the internet, and is not difficult finding names that are attached the association. Once you have a name, it is quite easy to work out their address.
'if' there is a meeting, and you know they are regulars, you know the dates when they will be out of the house in the evening, never mind not anywhere their bees.

Social networking has helped criminals considerably due to the current 'look at me' crazes posting photos of themselves and telling people what they are doing and where they are doing it, such as on Facebook and Twitter.
If I were a criminal (or am I?) would I really scour this forum to work out what security devices 'might' be used in an area covering several hundred square miles. If I were criminal, there are much easier ways of making a living.

'some' beekeepers give stonking clues to apiary's whereabouts on their facebook pages!

I use a router to carve initials on all boxes & heat brand most of the frames
(I know they'll just burn them after decanting the bees, but at least they can't re- sell without some risk)
I like the idea of the chained floor & wildlife camera
I have a cctv camera trained on the hives at home
All are painted to be as unobtrusive as possible.
I use army netting siliconed to a brick on each roof (Bare metal roofs can be seen on google images so they are also fabric covered or painted)

None of these things protect 100% but they make me feel that I've made as much effort as is practical in my circumstances

peteinwilts;480553 but if a 'poor thief' gets hurt by a security device said:
only if they get to tell anyone, holes can be dug,lol

Anyone who inspects in a white suit is advertising.. and telling people "here I am, I keep bees... ".

I wear camo.

And I hide bees behind hedges. Some of my near neighbours are surprised when they find I keep bees..

And I hide bees behind hedges. Some of my near neighbours are surprised when they find I keep bees.
not as suprised as when they find you lurking in the bushes I bet..

One of my Sits had a goose and a gander roaming 24 7 and they are bloody vicious had a few problem my self with them for the first cople of months but now they know me are ok but makes me smile at the thort of some one geting stung and then goosed at the same time

There are tales elsewhere from ITLD of a local thief over many years who took hives from remote locations, rehoused all the bees and burnt the original hives, frames and all. There's really not much you can do to prevent that. What you can change is just to make it harder for the thief; taking your hive, selling it on and not being found out.

Anchoring the hive in some way is possible. One way that looks effective I've seen is to use stands that are based on fence posts, that is driven into the ground so the stand is not easily lifted. Even if you wanted to keep it portable a double or triple stand is more unwieldy. Then drive long screws down through the hive floor into the stand. It's not obvious until you try to move it that the hive will not come away intact.

Selling it on needs extra time and trouble if everything is marked. Branding is good because a third party name and phone number inside the boxes at several points makes a buyer think twice. However I reckon you'd get most of the effect with a permanent marker pen. Nearly as much trouble to remove from several surfaces without trace but quicker and cheaper. Also effective if your kit is often lent to the association or other members. A custom self inking rubber stamp (few quid on ebay) can even mark all the frames fairly quickly.

On being found out, various proposals have been put forward for tracking devices. There are simple versions and available for a few tens of pounds. They're mostly aimed at cars or motor bikes though, so powering and concealing them needs some work. Various "chipping" ideas have been mentioned but they need the kit to read them and you have to know they're in use and where they are. Similarly "smart water" type marking. It has to be on a sticker or no-one looks for it, so why not make the mark obvious rather than use hidden codes? Some have had success around farms with "trail cam" type devices, IR detecting cameras designed mostly for wildlife detection; expensive but could provide some evidence if there's an obvious approach route.

'some' beekeepers give stonking clues to apiary's whereabouts on their facebook pages!

'Some' beekeepers give stonking clues to apiary's whereabouts in forum posts too.

It's never a good idea to post a picture of an apiary because somebody, somewhere, will recognise the location and may be tempted. If they don't steal, they may still cause a lot of damage.

Latest posts

Back