Bee sting desensitisation course

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dpearce4

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
a few more than last year but still not enough
I started today my bee sting desensitisation course at Brighton hospital. Over the next 12 weeks i intend to give as much information about what they do and how i react to the injections.

Background.

I had a very bad reaction in July last year to 14 stings, this ended up with me covered in a rash and swelling up and having to go to A&E due to having anaphylactic shock.

I was referred to brighton allergy clinic and in october was tested and told i could go on this therapy.

Today i was given my first injection, this was given in the muscle at the back of the top of the arm. The first injection given was less than 10% of a normal bee sting. I was asked to stay for 30mins just incase i had a full reaction which im glad i didnt have.

I was adivsed not to exercise for 24 hours after the injection as it may bring on anaphylactic shock.

While on the train going to work after I could feel my eye lids puffing up slightly and had a peppery taste at the back of my throat (both of which i had when i reacted badly). When i got to work i could see a rash on my neck either sides of my adams apple and could feel a little tightness there to. This did not get any worse over the next couple of hours and so didnt need my eppy pen which i had with me.

Most of the symptoms have now gone with the execption of itchyness on my arm where i was injected.

Over the next 12 weeks i will have increasing amounts of venom injected upto the amount i would receive from 2 stings at week 12.

I was hoping to take pics of what happened today but wasnt able to due to nothing much really happening but over the next few weeks i will take pics as and when i get reactions or not as the case maybe.

If anyone wants futher information about alergies this is a good website to look at, http://www.allergyuk.org/the-management-of-allergy/immunotherapy .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing this, I hope the treatment goes well for you.

Gold luck and all the best

Pete :)

:iagree:
this will help a lot of beeks thanks dp for taking the trouble to document it i will read with intrest each week mind you 14 sting is a lot of venom i think it al depends on the bee thart sting you aswell guard bees must beat there prime as to house bees my experience is some time 1 sting bad reaction then 5 no reaction someone elses bees sting bad reaction my bees ok sometimes funny ay all the best mate
Alan

good luck with the treatment
is this on NHS or private ???
only asking 'cos i got stung on throat (outside) on Friday and the swelling interfered with my swallowing and breating and i was very close to going to A&E
eventually decided to treat it myself with hydrocortisone cream which worked a treat, so new tube going in bee suit pocket
hope it all goes well, looking forward to next weeks installment - is it every Weds ?

bee-smillie

This sounds great and I cant wait to hear how it goes. Hope it goes well and works for you mate.

Just out of interest... What on earth were you doing to get 14 stings? Eating them.......:icon_204-2:?

The treatment is on the NHS and you can get wasp stings and nut alergies done on the NHS to. From what i can gather there arnt to many Allergy clinics around the country so timescales can vary. The instalments will be on wednesdays unless i react badly and end up in hospital. I wont have far to go as A&E are across the road lol.

If you have a bad reaction to a sting dont use Hydrocortisone cream as this can make the next time even worse. I was told before i was given my eppy pen by A&E if im having a bad reaction chew on an antihistimine tablet this gets it into your system faster and is safe as 1 tablet is alot less that you would be given if you went to A&E.

Haha Sir Quej. Lets just say when the weather people say risk of thunder dont do ur bees, 30mins after i was stung the heavens opened. The worst thing was I had run from the hive doing the beekeeper dance (slapping my body killing bees stinging me thro the suit), once i had cleared them off i had to go back for more as the hive was still open and needed to be closed up before i could leave them.

Pleased to hear it went okay today, DP. Here's hoping the rest are as easy :)

Interesting post, I look forward to hearing more. Hope all goes well for you.

Haha Sir Quej. Lets just say when the weather people say risk of thunder dont do ur bees, 30mins after i was stung the heavens opened. The worst thing was I had run from the hive doing the beekeeper dance (slapping my body killing bees stinging me thro the suit), once i had cleared them off i had to go back for more as the hive was still open and needed to be closed up before i could leave them.

Funny you should say that, I took about 12 stings last year (not all at the same time) and pretty much all of them were just before or just after rain.

The girls really dont like disturbing when it's wet.....:nono:

Haha would u either.

good luck with the treatment
is this on NHS or private ???
only asking 'cos i got stung on throat (outside) on Friday and the swelling interfered with my swallowing and breating and i was very close to going to A&E
eventually decided to treat it myself with hydrocortisone cream which worked a treat, so new tube going in bee suit pocket
hope it all goes well, looking forward to next weeks installment - is it every Weds ?

bee-smillie
Eastender's corry or emmerdale no beekeeping forum every time

I have just completed my initial 12 weekly injections and all is going well. I would be interested to hear how you are feeling regarding tiredness, I was fine for first 3 injections then found for the following 6 or 7 that it was impossible to stay awake beyond tea time. This has now improved and are now on monthly visits, the last of which only caused a local swelling to the arm. Good luck with your treatment, it is amazing how fast the first 12 weeks go.

Will follow this thread with interest, thanks DP4 and best of luck :)

Update for today, no swelling or redness where the injection was done. Can only be good news.

I was cycling to work and got stung in the mouth by a wasp!! I had to go to A+E at Addenbrookes in Cambridge. They treated me for anafalactic shock and then refferred me to be tested, which showed that I was allergic to wasp and NOT bee! venom.
That was two years ago and I have since been stung by a wasp and was perfectly fine!
I now have wasp venom injections every three months and it only itches with a little swelling.
On my last visit I told one of the nurses that I had started keeping bees and she said that most of the patients there were beeks too! So I have made a few Beek friends in the process!bee-smillie.

Week 2

Had my second injection today of the course, the amount was still extremely small, about twice the size of last weeks one.

About 5mins after the injection the area that was injected started to hurt but it wasnt bad, felt sort of like i had been stung. This lasted for about 30mins. When i got to work about 2hrs after i checked my arm and it was swollen slightly about the same as some people get with a normal sting. I have been keeping an eye on it dring the day and is has spread to maybe 2inches round where i was injected, with a little redness but not excessive.

All in all i didnt react to badly to the venom like i normally do. So far im happy the way its going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back