Brood enlargening downward

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but you have now in the last week added extra boxes to your hives.........and according to you its too cold in UK for us to be adding boxes.

Yep. My strongest hives have now 4 boxes.

Has anybody told you that if one Langstroth box is full of brood, and when those brood emerge, the colony needs 3 Langstroth boxes for bees. And next week one box more again. Then hive has two boxes of brood and when it emerges, the colony needs 6-8 boxes.

Too cold to add boxes. That is for "do nothing guys" ...stay inside that you do not catch cold. Use your brains. ..and take you medicines you old fart.

I think providing additional space beneath the brood is a very good idea.

Its a very good idea because thats how bees work........they build downwards and as the cells get emptied of brood they get filled with honey, but double brood means extra work for the beek and is sometimes not physically possible for them to manage.
Shallow box on top gets filled up, take it off and replace or remove some frames and replace with new ones.........

Too cold to add boxes. That is for "do nothing guys" ...stay inside that you do not catch cold. Use your brains. ..and take you medicines you old fart.

It was you who told us it was too cold here to be adding boxes....

Oh well, you achieved what you set out to do when you started this thread. Its given you the opportunity to tell us of your super bees and we are doing it all wrong, and as you are always incapable of answering what was a reasonable question (and still havent) you revert to gibberish and abuse.......Where you fail is that you forget what you have written in previous posts.

Our spring has been miserable. Only few foraging days to get pollen from willows. Now last 10 days have been good.

But I can see that crossblooded Italian -Carniolans have been clearly better than light color pure Itaians. The darker color, the better they have caught pollen. It means more emerging brood later.

Carniolans are popular in northern parts of Finland. Carniolan came to Finland 25 y ago. First Beekeeping Association denied the import of Carniolans. It took place of vanishing black bee.

So finny. Am I reading this correctly. In a nutshell :

You add all new broodboxes under the brood during the early season. Foundation only, not drawn comb. Then later in season after there is an arc of honey above brood you add boxes above - as honey supers though in the same size box as brood. Would theses be foundation only or is drawn comb better here?
All floors are closed.
Do you use top entrances or bottom?

Obee

.......Where you fail is that you forget what you have written in previous posts.

Yep. Ships happen even in better families. To be on Uk beekeeping forum is mere failing. But Still I get 300 jars honey from my best hives, and some get 3 jars.

So finny. Am I reading this correctly. In a nutshell :

You add all new broodboxes under the brood during the early season. Foundation only, not drawn comb. Then later in season after there is an arc of honey above brood you add boxes above - as honey supers though in the same size box as brood. Would theses be foundation only or is drawn comb better here?
All floors are closed.
Do you use top entrances or bottom?

Obee

I do not use foundations in early enlargening. Only drawn combs.

I have only solid floors. I have upper entrances.
Lower entrances are now about 10 cm x 1 cm open.

My colonies are still weak because so few brood have emerged. I cannot add more space if bees cannot occupy recent frames. I can add emerging brood to weak hives so that they can occupy the whole box.

Strand of pollen means nothing. Bees tend to store pollen so.

Yep. Ships happen even in better families. To be on Uk beekeeping forum is mere failing. But Still I get 300 jars honey from my best hives, and some get 3 jars.

I'm sure that I speak for many when I say that we are honoured that you can find the time from your busy beeking day to offer advice to us, but in reality the only reason you are on this forum is because you got banned from all the others....
as for the number of jars........is that supposed to impress us because personally I dont care. You keep bees for the money..No problem with that.

Is a box of bees a box full of bees ....or a box with some bees in it, because quite honestly I dont believe that one overwintered brood box can expand to 3 or 4 boxes full in 10 days.......
but if what you say is true then perhaps its now about time that you admitted that beekeeping in your country must after all be different from that in the UK.

Yes, it us important industry in Britain. Some oak board pieces into vodka and you get whisky sooner or later. If it gets that old.

so that's where the missing bits of the rickety rackety bridge have gone..

quite honestly I dont believe that one overwintered brood box can expand to 3 or 4 boxes full in 10 days.......
bu.

Hehheh. Me neither. ... Honestly . I know that you are master of honestry. Who told to you that carbage?

Brood cycle is 21 days. And it needs one week emerging that you get some new bees from frames which replace dead winter bees.

It takes at least 4 weeks that colony starts to expand. Basics of beekeeping. 30 days.

And 3 weeks brood do not emerge in one week.

Last edited:
Hehheh. Me neither. ... Honestly . I know that you are master of honestry. Who told to you that carbage?

Brood cycle is 21 days. And it needs one week emerging that you get some new bees from frames which replace dead winter bees.

It takes at least 4 weeks that colony starts to expand. Basics of beekeeping. 30 days.

And 3 weeks brood do not emerge in one week.

so all the boxes you have added are all still empty?

So.

dont add extra boxes in UK as not warm enough or not enough forage to feed eggs...............but OK in Finland.

Add boxes in Finland under a box full of old bees and queen fills boxes...Old bees manage to find enough forage, feed, and keep brood warm?

Dont encourage expansion.........nature decides expansion...

So.

dont add extra boxes in UK as not warm enough or not enough forage to feed eggs...............but OK in Finland.

Add boxes in Finland under a box full of old bees and queen fills boxes...Old bees manage to find enough forage, feed, and keep brood warm?

Dont encourage expansion.........nature decides expansion...

And remember change you medication. Not together with alcohol .
Then read some book Beekeeping for dummies. ... Or..do not. It arises too many questions again.

Last edited:
And remember change you medication. Not together with alcohol .
Then read some book Beekeeping for dummies. ... Or..do not. It arises too many questions again.

I dont know why you are attempting to take the pi**, ,because it's you who have said all those things.....not me....

Latest posts

Back