Varroa levels so far this year?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddydog

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
150+ nucs and hives
Not a scientific study but I've not seen a single specimen thus far when drone culling. Not claiming my bees are resistant (certainly if my previous two years are anything to go by!) Previously I've oxalic dribbled but last year vapourised for the first time.
Not making any claims just wondering what other beeks are finding?

Me too...used vaporisation ....so far all the drone brood culled has been clean of varroa.

Not sure if is drone "culling" but I have one hive in particular that draws comb below the brood frames in the lower box. I let them seal about 4 frames worth. Found one or two out of all those I opened with some Varroa.
Have a good photo somewhere, I will post if I find it.

Me too...used vaporisation ....so far all the drone brood culled has been clean of varroa.

nearly the same, i have found 1 varroa per five hive fork outs of 200 drones (ie 4 hives are zero and one hive has 1 varroa in 200 drones, well actual 1 in 400 as i forked out another 200 to se if i could find more)

And the vapourisation is really easy to do.....no opening the hive when it is cold and windy. Bees don't really seem bothered either....they buzz to start with but soon return to normal.

Hi all

not tried the vapourisation, just trickle method. Tell us more about how to do it. thanks Burren

Most use a Varrox introduced through the entrance with the hive sealed.
I have deepened my floors, adding a slot for a metal tray so that I can vape under the OMF from behind.

It appears that vaporised Oxalic Acid is NOT an approved medicine for "food-producing animals" . This is a bit unfortunate as it seems to be the most effective. How do experienced and "attempting to be legal" beekeepers square this circle?

CVB

I guess you do when they are
not producing food!

Varroa is nothing this year. Nosema is the biggest pain in the ass so far.

Left varroa tray in for 7 days between inspections on one hive recently and not a single varroa to be seen when I removed it.
I have sublimated for last 6 years using a S/H varrox placed on a metal sheet in the varroa slot beneath the OMF with all other ventilation spaces sealed. When the drop is particularly heavy after first dose I give 'em another. Home apiary so not a problem with battery etc and risk of dying from breathing the fumes so unlikely as to be negligible risk, despite scaremongers who warn otherwise. Nobody has ever died using one either as someone suggested at my BKA last year!!!
At the Harper Adams Spring Convention this year, one stand was selling the Varrox at £100 each. Check big T and see the saving!! A bargain to watch for next year imho?

Must be why my bees haven died yet then...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back