bees blocking up entrance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barry

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Went to check on my hive yesterday and noticed that the bees had started to block up the entrance with wax. They can obviously still get in and out but I was wondering is this usual behaviour as I've only had my bees since July so new to beekeeping. There are a lot of wasps around still but my bees have done a great job keeping them out, was wondering if they have tried to make the entrance smaller to help keep the wasps out. I did'nt remove it as it does'nt appear to be causing a problem. Also , when overwintering bees, does there stores all need to be capped, at the mo my hive is full of mainly uncapped honey, probably only two frames are capped.

ive known for bees to block up the entrance or make it smaller ( its easier to defend the hive) i would not worry too much, they know what they are doing, just check it does not get blocked with dead bees or other objects.

Went to check on my hive yesterday and noticed that the bees had started to block up the entrance with wax. They can obviously still get in and out but I was wondering is this usual behaviour as I've only had my bees since July so new to beekeeping. There are a lot of wasps around still but my bees have done a great job keeping them out, was wondering if they have tried to make the entrance smaller to help keep the wasps out. I did'nt remove it as it does'nt appear to be causing a problem. Also , when overwintering bees, does there stores all need to be capped, at the mo my hive is full of mainly uncapped honey, probably only two frames are capped.

is the entrance block in

the entrance is blocked to about four inches long(national hive) they are adding to the top of the entrance along its length.

They are telling you the entrance is too large.

If your bees have uncapped stores in their hive there isn't a great deal that can be done about it.

Latest posts

Back