soft set honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denise washington

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4+2 nucs
hi all just need a bit of advice,i have made a warming cabinet and melted some osr honey can I make it into soft set honey now or do I have to leave it for a while
thanks denise

hi tom thanks for reply I have seen that video but what I wanted to know is could I mix it while it is still warm from heating cabinet or do I have to leave it for a while
thanks denise

I would think slightly warm would help with the stirring but to warm and it may devolve the crystals in the seed honey so best to let it cool but perhaps not cold.

... what I wanted to know is could I mix it while it is still warm from heating cabinet or do I have to leave it for a while
thanks denise

You need to heat to about 45C (and hold for a time, with occasional stirring) to redissolve set honey.

Before seeding, it wants to be cooled to something like 33C (and the seed warmed to the same level), so that although everything flows nicely (and therefore mixes well) when you stir in the seed - there is no risk of it being hot enough to cause the crystals in the seed to redissolve (its those tiny crystals that are the 'seed' - and tiny crystals redissolve easily).

Shouldnt need to seed OSR honey - its already got a fine texture

Shouldnt need to seed OSR honey - its already got a fine texture

OSR (essentially on its own) can set spoon-bendingly hard.
However, your bees will likely be mixing it with a fair proportion of other nectars to produce what you are experiencing.

hi all thanks for replies got it all done looks ok and taste ok
thanks denise

Thats great, but would expect the full setting to happen over a few weeks (or at least my experience) nevertheless we do like a photo on this site ;) I will be doing some soft set honey again this year as its lovely especially on toast but I seem to get frosting.

With the current temps it may take quite a long time to set.

I can't work out why my OSR honey did this all on its own this year. I bottled 24h after extraction and it has set to a fine-grained, pliable, spreadable and thoroughly pleasant paste - not at all the stuff (indeed spoon bending) I've had before. No special treatment; not a particularly cool storage

If there is one thing worse than things going badly and not knowing why, it's things going spectacularly well and not knowing why!

Mine was the same. The blossom in hedgerows was abundant this year. Likely a mix of nectars.

Useful £20 class coming up in the Autumn at KSRC Sittingbourne
http://ksrcbees.org.uk/?wpsc-product=microscopical-analysis-of-honey
Microscopical Analysis of Honey …
This course is an extension of the 20th September course and deals with the extraction of pollen grains from honey, in order to characterise the floral sources. Students are encouraged to bring along some samples of their honey which we will examine and try to identify the principal floral components. Potentially "mono-floral" honeys can be interesting - they are not always as expected! All equipment will be provided and the theoretical background to this work will be explained.
Essential course if you wish to sell "Lime Honey", "Ivy Honey" or "Oil-seed Rape Honey"!

Latest posts

Back