First Attempt With No Foundation.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Impressive! Even more so because drone culling looks an easy job, simply cut out that outer section.

normally wait till capped over as part of my varroa treatment, also easy to cut out section run a knife around to remove drone brood or for cut comb and the bees will just replace what has been taken

also no starter foundation just bare wood leave out the foundation cleat
I use for brood or honey as use brood boxes as supers have not tried spinning yet as I crush and strain as I have not got a market for too much honey as yet

Great pics yeogi, I do love a picture, I learn better that way. Is the first image on foundation? I thought I could see the v - shaped wires. Lovely brood pattern :)

yes they are on wired brood foundation as this is my best laying queen, and have kept her on basic foundation until I tried foundation less with skewer sticks, when removed in three years will clean up frames remove wax and replace with sticks as can cut away anything not wanted

A foundationless frame being filled in my observation hive.

In this instance ...I should have added a starter strip.

Took this out yesterday..

No foundation at all. Not even a starter strip.

Its one of two that Outlander put in when he inspected for me.
The other one is better filled than this one but this was easier to get out to take a pic of.

I suppose they might have fully filled it if I had left it a bit longer.

lovely i'd like to try that :nature-smiley-013:

also no starter foundation just bare wood leave out the foundation cleat
I use for brood or honey as use brood boxes as supers have not tried spinning yet as I crush and strain as I have not got a market for too much honey as yet

I like it. Have you fixed the skewers with anything - or drilled holes?

These are the sort of skewers people use on BBQs, yes?

Just drill hole so tight fit yes from pound. Shop

Magic; thank you. I'm definitely going to try it

So now all you have to do is dispense with the sides and bottom of the frame, angle in the sides of your broodbox a little, and you are a top-bar bee-keeper not worthy

In his latest book Peter Paterson says that with European bees you don't even have to bother with the angled side-walls!

Latest posts

Back