death squads

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dared

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
now 6!
Sorry for the title but watching the girls dragging out the drones and slaughtering them at the entrance is something I have not seen before. I know the drones are kicked out but this was brutal to say the least.

Nature can be cruel at times, drone culling and Queen balling being two examples from our hobby.

Nature can be cruel at times, drone culling and Queen balling being two examples from our hobby.

Nothing can be as brutal as an abattoir.

Haha I know! It's always a shock to see it first time. Poor drones!

Got my own back recently.

When Kazmcc came the other week to share inspecting my hives, we had a conversation about me "getting rid of the old queen".

Seems a bit tense round the house since then.

Dusty

Drones out already? Doesn't sound right. Have they enough stores?

You are right Roola - last year mine were still tolerating a fair few drones right into the beginning of September and beyond. But ... it's been a really swarmy year and perhaps they have decided that enough's enough. Prize if you can read a bee's mind !!

Mine are still rearing drones. I have one hive with a virgin and there are hundreds in there. In most hives there are still plenty of drones emerging and being reared.

Drones out already? Doesn't sound right. Have they enough stores?

I thought the same when I saw a pile of drones outside one colony last week. Plenty of stores though, so they've obviously decided they don't need them any more.

It's another strange year for beekeeping. Can't imagine there's ever a 'normal' one!

I thought the same when I saw a pile of drones outside one colony last week. Plenty of stores though, so they've obviously decided they don't need them any more.

It's another strange year for beekeeping. Can't imagine there's ever a 'normal' one!
They really don't follow the rule books do they? Hope it's not too common occurrence if people are trying to get virgins mated or late supercedures. I'll be avoiding MAQS then.

Spent 20 mins watching 3 small bees dragging a drone out across the landing board and every now and again like a front row forward he would drag them closer to the entrance on his back, but they weren't having any of it and dragged him out again.

Really strong hive, double brood and four suppers with lots of stores and brood, just think they have decided no need for them so out they go. No point having them eating all the stores.

Really strong hive, double brood and four suppers with lots of stores and brood, just think they have decided no need for them so out they go. No point having them eating all the stores.

Greedy bugger having four suppers :biggrinjester:

Latest posts

Back