Name that species...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyww

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

Found this thing lurking on my hive yesterday, any ideas what it is? Its about 3 times bigger than my bees..

IMG_20140727_182048415_1.jpg

I'd suggest that its our old friend the Hornet Hoverfly.
Harmless but impressive.

I'd suggest that its our old friend the Hornet Hoverfly.
Harmless but impressive.

Yep, well, I know it's a type of hover fly, I posted about it years ago but you know what my memory is like! I have them in my garden. They hover, then swing out in a loop and hover again in the exact same place. They do it over and again. No idea why lol

I'd go with Hornet Hoverfly too -shouldn't be a bother IMHO (to you or your bees!) - might mean you've got some wasp nests near you though ?

Watched one in my garden a few days running last year. It kept flying from plant to plant getting closer to a hive each time.. it never quite got the nerve to settle on the landing board. It did however land on my hand when I was trying to photograph it.

The info I've read about them, granted only briefly, stated they are slowly moving north. I've had them in my garden every year.

The info I've read about them, granted only briefly, stated they are slowly moving north. I've had them in my garden every year.

No..

Its the Londoners who are moving north in search of the cheaper housing..

Nah! Toooo tender for abrasive Northerners :D
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back