old extractor - need repair advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beecology

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi folks,

I have an old galvanized extractor that is a little rusty and has several small holes in the base.

Could anyone advise on how best to repair said extractor, maybe food safe paint to seal the inside of the drum or something similar?

Suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

Sorry to say but bin it. If you are selling or giving honey away then you should be using food grade extracting equipment. Galvanised products are no longer considered food safe by environmental health.

Hi folks,

I have an old galvanized extractor that is a little rusty and has several small holes in the base.

Could anyone advise on how best to repair said extractor, maybe food safe paint to seal the inside of the drum or something similar?

Suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

As Veg said - bin it - unless you have facility to fabricate stainless steel or food grade plastic.

You could build a wooden box to fit the mechanism in..
Doesnt have to be round..

Find a local company who will weld up the holes and powdercoat it with a food grade plastic

It will cost more than buying a new one ... short run powder coating costs a fortune unless you can tag onto the end of someone else's run and I doubt that 'welding up' rusting holes is going to be a very successful or cheap solution. If OP thinks of going down this route a new stainless steel box or drum to go round the original mechanism is probably going to cost about the same.

I think it's chucking money down the drain .. sell it on ebay - some fancy restaurant/garden designer/decorator will buy it for far more than it's worth and you can put the proceeds along with what you were going to spend repairing it towards a new one.

I saw a galvanised 'Dolly tub' (For those not as ancient as me https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=d...co.uk%2Fvintage-galvanised-dolly-tubs;640;480 )

on sale at Hampton Court Flower show for £80 !! I just wish I still had all the ones that stood in the back yards of terraced houses in Yorkshire in the 1950's (they were old fashioned in those days and people were turning to washing machines).

If the outside is that bad then the cage and mechanism is probably beyond saving and probably not food safe.

thanks all for taking time to post helpful replies.

I have purchased a new stainless extractor today and have been rewarded with our first ever honey crop - 44lb so far of pale, delicate and delicious honey!

one happy, but skint beekeeper!

Latest posts

Back