Old Girl

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDWOOD

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
look at this old girl (nuffiel), still worked most days and a testimony to British engineering

look at this old girl (nuffiel), still worked most days and a testimony to British engineering

Great tractors. I was once persuaded to change the clutch in one. Part of the exercise involved the owner removing the steering wheel and standing in front of the seat while drawing the fuel tank up and off the column. He overbalanced backwards, ended up sitting on the seat with the tank upside down in his lap as red diesel fuel ran onto his crotch.
He went straight home for a bath!

I'v changed many tractor clutches but not a Nuffield (yet) they can be a bit of a balancing act with wooden blocks axle stands and trolley jacks

These old ladies are virtually indestructible... we took the head off a pre war one on a friends farm in the late 1960's, it was (and always had been !) running on three cylinders but with the confidence of youth we thought we could fix it. Got the head off and found a wooden plug in cylinder 4, no con rod, no piston just a wooden plug fitted into the bore. Put it back together as it was and it was still running (on three cylinders) in the 1990's - may still be going for all I know !

When we farmed the smallholding my father would borrow my uncle Dai's old tractor, a 1946 David Brown running on TVO - still going strong in the 1970/80's and since then my cousin has replaced the fairing - removed by uncle Dai in the 1950's when the tractor rolled and the fairing nearly choked him to death - and refurbished her - not worked any more but still has pride of place in the yard - it was the first tractor the farm had and even had a mention in Uncle Dai's funeral last week. I loved that tractor, all the foot controls were sited on one sie of the tractor and it had a bench seat so the driver sat 'side saddle' and there was room for a passenger to sit comfortably as well

Nuffield 4-60?
My father and uncle bought, used and sold a few of these over the years. I'm fond of old tractors in general and have my eye on an old Super Major and a P&P TE-20 that have been parked up for years but I'd really like to get a Massey Ferguson 35x or an FE 35. We always seem to have odd jobs to do that lead to me or my father nipping round the road to borrow one of my cousin's tractors....

An owner of a short-wheelbase, series one land rover would give a good home to the Nuffield's front tyre - looks to be a 6.00 or 6.50 x 16 avon traction mileage (and possibly another on the far side); not that I am an anorak or anything!!

Latest posts

Back