Anybody any advice on making jam with honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
1 Nat & 1 WBC
I am thinking of making some bilberry jam with honey instead of sugar. I know I have read somewhere that because honey is sweeter, you need less honey than if you were using sugar. Liquid may also be a factor (sugar isn't liquid, honey is, therefore I may need to adjust for that too).

Therefore, has anybody got any tips or advice on jam making with honey before I go for it (bit trial and error but fancy a play).

Much appreciated in advance

Sally

Why?

Surely sugar (sucrose), is best for setting of jams?

I've just made some blackcurrant (lots of pectin) lavender and honey jelly.
I find that adding honey to the mixture that you are boiling reduces the set unless you make allowances in the liquid you are adding and then it's bait hit and miss.
Also the aroma of the honey boils off.
SO
I add a large teaspoon per 12oz jar after I have poured the jam/jelly into the jar.
Works very well, and taste remains.

Hi MartinL
I suppose for two reasons, one, because I am curious, and wish to experiment. And two, because I have spare honey. And yes, I could just sell it / give it away, but for a few hours work I can see what the texture, taste etc. difference is (if any). Even if it is an absolute car crash of a jam, at least I will learn from it.

Ericalfbee - the liquid aspect is not good...and I can see why you have added a spoon of honey after you have made the jam. Food for thought.

Thank you

Sally

Make honey biscuits or honey cake. The last uses loads of honey but freezes well and is delicious! No contest
E

I'm afraid I cheat, because cooking can change the flavour of the honey. I get the jam to setting point, add just enough honey to give a flavour and bottle it straight away.

I Have made honey marmalade from the cans of prepared oranges you get from the supermarket and it's rather nice. Instead of adding water and the 4lb's of sugar only add 5lb's of honey. This year I will be experimenting with blackberry jam and I recently picked some green gages so will add a bit of honey.

I like the idea ericA of adding a tea spoon at the end.

ps I will be sending the tbh soon sorry it's been so late but one thing and another and it has looked rather nice on the shelf.

Hi Tom
Marmalade sounds good, as does blackberry, and also green gage jam. Thanks for the info on swapping honey for sugar and water.

Off to the moors soon to collect the bilberries. Also like the idea of adding a spoonful of honey just before popping it in the jar. So thank you EricA and Beejoyful! It makes sense when you think about it (which I clearly hadn't). Thank you all for your help.

Sally

Marmalade as suggested by Tom Bick is a winner every time … particularly lemon and honey :piggy:

a rule of thumb that I use is to replace every 25g of sugar with 30 g of honey and reduce the amount of liquid by a quarter....

a rule of thumb that I use is to replace every 25g of sugar with 30 g of honey and reduce the amount of liquid by a quarter....

oops sorry, didn't really answer your question... for jam, i tend to replace most of the sugar with honey and ignore the liquid bit of the recipe - just enough to get the fruit to start breaking down, without burning.

Honey and lemon marmalade sounds good. Thank you, Fatshark.

Thanks Bontbee re the honey for sugar replacement.

May have to clear my freezer out before I do a freeze and thaw approach to the fruit, Ericalfbee, but it definitely won't hurt to have a spring clean.

Thank you

I've made a barch of Blackcurrant jam (as Erichalbee - loads of pectin in currants so sets easily) I just leave out the water altogether and increase the honey to 1 and a quarter the weight of sugar. simmer for a while to help soften the skins then crank up the heat to setting point. Whinberries/bilberries whatever have very little pectin so it may be an idea to add some powdered pectin or lemon juice

We have just made an Apple / Cranberry / Honey jam.

Since a had a batch of 'bakers' honey from a too early extraction a while back we have always used honey instead of sugar.

As others have said if the fruit you are using is not high in oectin you can use powdered pectin to help setting.

Never had a problem with either setting or shelf life (although it's usually so tasty it doesn't survive that long!).

Latest posts

Back