Chunk honey labelling

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete D

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
50+. Double Std National & 14x12
Hi all,
I would like to produce some chunk honey in the next week or 2 and I understand that the label should say 'chunk honey' and not just the normal honey.
If I want to avoid ordering a bespoke label can I use my normal label and just add the small round label that Thornes and no doubt other suppliers sell which would fit on the lid, it just says 'chunk honey'. Obviously I would need to meet my existing weight declaration.

Many thanks

Pete,
We have used the said stickers before and cannot see why you will not be able to now. As long as the customer knows what they are buying I can't see the problem.

I'm sure that a sticker on the lid would be perfectly reasonable.

However, I'm not at all certain that it would comply with the letter of the law.

The 'reserved description' of "Honey" (as per your standard label) cannot be applied to either chunk or comb honeys according to the Honey Regs.

The reserved description of "Chunk Honey" ought to be on the jar in the same field of view as the other statutory information.

I'm sure that with the sticker (and with the chunks being very visible) no deception or mis-selling would be possible … however, it doesn't look to me as though it is any more compliant than those commercial labels with the statutory info printed over a picture or graphic!

I very much doubt that any jobsworth is likely to take you up on it, but, if someone were out to get you, it would give them a tiny little bit of ammunition.

I'm sure that with the sticker (and with the chunks being very visible) no deception or mis-selling would be possible

except if you sell it on ebay where half the people dont read the description..

Latest posts

Back