pound shops

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDWOOD

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Last year I bought a red current cane/plant from the pound shop and this year it bared its fruit............ bloody black currents, I wouldn't mind but I have a big black current bush already, I supose I could take it back if I could find the receipt and get my pound back lol

Sell them for two pounds..... Profit.....more than you will get from your honey! :)
E

Oh no! That's annoying. I bought 2 this year, hope they turn out to be red...

We had red currants this year... or more precisely, the birds did.

I plant currants in a great big currant patch and feed with lots of compost and prune carefully. So much growth the birds can't see the currants and eat fewer of them.. (As opposed to the raspberries where we are feeding several blackbird families, the jays and the foxes :paparazzi:)

I'm just making some blackcurrant, lavender and honey jelly. Send them to me?

Recipe?

My mother made blackcurrent jelly a week or so ago and for some reason it appears to have almost disappeared! For quite a few years I have managed to completely avoid picking blackcurrants (other than the odd garden snack). My father (retired) however, has not....

This is what i did.
1Kg blackberries
1 litre water.
Stew gently till fruit is quite soft then mash it thoroughly.
Drip through jelly bag overnight.
Lavender flowers. I pick 20 flower buds before they open and pop them in a muslin bag.

For every litre of juice you need 1Kg of ordinary granulated sugar. Blackcurrants are high in pectin so don't need jam sugar.
Pop juice, sugar and lavender flowers into a jam pan, heat slowly to dissolve sugar then boil rapidly to Jam setting on a jam thermometer (or use the cold plate method)
Take out lavender bag.
I jarred mine into 12oz jars adding a really generous spoonful of honey on the top.

Be a bit careful adding a dollop of honey to the top of jellies. I'm not sure what the water content is but I did some small jars of half quince jelly & half honey last year (which looked very pretty)and after a few months the tops were close to popping off as the honey had turned into mead! I belive the Romans had something similar

If you add it as soon as you have filled the jar, pop lid on quickly, invert slowly once to mix I'm sure the heat would kill any yeast.

Latest posts

Back