Kent classes at KSRC 2014

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itma

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
The outline of the 2014 programme has been posted on the website.

However, bookings are not yet open.

First class is due to be on Feb 4th.

New this year will be some practical sessions and a look towards Bee Farming.
Many popular classes from previous years will be repeated including those on Microscopy, Terry Clare on Queen Rearing (one for the ordinary beek, the other on 'Advanced' methods - grafting, Jenter, Cupkit, etc), Bob Smith on Varroa and John Hendrie on preparing for the General Husbandry assessment.

There will also be two outings for the "How to Pass the Basic" course!

As previously, prices are very reasonable.

Details are on the website
http://ksrcbees.org.uk/?page_id=4

Just to mention that it looks as though the site is now accepting bookings for the first tranche of courses.

ADDED - this is from this year's KSRC website 'front page'
The courses are targetted at beekeepers in Kent. If you are from outside the county, please email in the first instance to express your interest in our courses – we will try to fit you in if not fully subscribed.
My emphasis - it covers a point raised last year. Sittingbourne is easily accessible from London ... (and elsewhere!)

Last edited:
More sessions added @ Maidstone

I notice that a couple of 'Practical' sessions have been added to the schedule.

These are to be at Coxheath, near Maidstone (there's another already listed at Bridge near Canterbury) in an apiary as opposed to being in the KSRC classroom & laboratories used for the rest of the KSRC classes. .

The theme is "Practical Bee Handling" (beyond the Basic)

The aim is to provide coaching in reading the bees, proactive management, apiary hygiene and smooth, confident handling. You will get plenty of access to hives, working in small groups so that there’s practical learning for each delegate.

Students : minimum pass in BBKA Basic, no exceptions to that. Freshly laundered bee suit, clean footwear and disposable gloves essential. Maximum 6 students in the session. Bring packed lunch

Seems like a great opportunity for some personal, practical, advanced tuition. Bargain at £25 for the day.

Have done several of these courses over the last couple of years and find them really useful and enjoyable. The facilities are fantastic and the courses are excellent value for money. They also make for a brilliant way of meeting beekeepers from other associations.

Hi im from Kent and im interested in doing some course's for the beginner as im just starting. Any info would be much appreciated. Kind regards.

Could try adult study in ashford who do a beginners beekeeping course cannot remember when it starts but it provides all the basics to start beekeeping.

Hi im from Kent and im interested in doing some course's for the beginner as im just starting. Any info would be much appreciated. Kind regards.
Julian Audsley is the Canterbury beekepers trainer and runs introduction to beekeeping courses twice a year. Visit our website www.canterburybeekeepers.org.uk or phone 07761839119 for info.

Hi cbee
Thanks for the reply. Iv been in touch with canterbury bee keepers. They have said im welcome along on there apiary days. Really looking forward to it. :)

New classes now up on the website -

Pollen ID Microscopy
Microscopical Analysis of Honey
Skep Making
Beeswax Workshop (polish, cosmetics, soap …)

http://ksrcbees.org.uk/?page_id=4

No longer so strictly limited to only Kent beekeepers …

Booked my two courses... Been on others. Highly recommended..

Booked my two courses... Been on others. Highly recommended..

Totally agree and a lovely venue. Its a shame that the number of attendees has dropped off so much this year. These courses are excellent value for money and offer a great opportunity to meet other beekeepers and more importantly learn more about the bees and products of the hive. It would be a real shame for these courses to be withdrawn through lack of interest.

I've booked up for the wax products course in November having done the previous two. Jennifer Dinsmore heads up this course and each time she has delivered an excellently structured and thoroughly enjoyable course.

My partner has booked on both the honey and pollen microscopy courses.

Worth flagging up that a Skep Making class has been added to the list of upcoming classes.
Saturday 8th November at KSRC, near Sittingbourne.
No beekeeping qualification required for booking/attending.

See -> http://ksrcbees.org.uk/?page_id=4

Sad news, but with a glimmer of hope.
We’re moving from Kent Science Park
Posted on September 22, 2014 by Adrian Davis

The Kent Science Resource Centre (KSRC) will be moving out of Kent Science Park on the 31st October 2014, due to completion of the rental agreement, and non-renewal. Unfortunately, this means that we’ve had to cancel our last 2 courses of the season – beeswax and skepmaking.

During the autumn, we hope that we will be able to identify a new location in which to hold the courses that have run under the banner “Bees@KSRC”, and we will make a further announcement when such arrangements are in place.

The landlord has hiked the rent and KSRC (the laboratory training business) are moving out.
They haven't (AFAIK) yet got anywhere suitable to move into. BUT, again AFAIK, they would be delighted to continue to welcome beekeeper training once they have re-established themselves.

Meanwhile … I wonder whether anyone has any suggestions for interim venues that could be used for hosting such classes? If you have, better to tell the organisers - not me! There's a contact page on the website http://ksrcbees.org.uk/?page_id=91

Latest posts

Back