Module 3

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've no idea how I did on Module 6. There seems to be a lot of confusion as to what the foraging behaviour question in section C actually asked. If I answered the question they think they were asking, I reckon I passed. If other people I've talked to since did then I failed it.

This is part of my point about not having a proper Module descriptor accessible to everyone and not just a sheet of A4 with very general categories as a syllabus. Whilst I value the read around the subject approach for certainly 6 and 7 it is much harder to know what is required for answers and it should not need to be a case of doing the correspondence course: a relatively detailed syllabus should be available to all.

This is part of my point about not having a proper Module descriptor accessible to everyone and not just a sheet of A4 with very general categories as a syllabus. Whilst I value the read around the subject approach for certainly 6 and 7 it is much harder to know what is required for answers and it should not need to be a case of doing the correspondence course: a relatively detailed syllabus should be available to all.

I think there's two separate issues here. I agree that the syllabus in general is too vague with too little guidance. I can only assume the motive is to encourage potential candidates lacking association support to undertake the correspondence course. One sentence descriptions of the various points to be covered isn't enough.

Too frequently I think there are questions on module papers that are too vague and this years C question around foraging is one of them judging by the range of interpretations that I've seen from candidates around what the question actually meant.

I design training for the Military. The performance statements used by the BBKA are very good. What's lacking is a definitive standard, you could argue that the reading list is the standard but the texts are often contradictory.

I design training for the Military. The performance statements used by the BBKA are very good. What's lacking is a definitive standard, you could argue that the reading list is the standard but the texts are often contradictory.

"The Army's target is that all personnel attain at least Level 1 (GCSE grade D-G or equivalent) literacy and numeracy standards within 3 years of joining."

I think there is more than enough detail in the syllabus. I would be very wary of a detailed fact-by-fact breakdown of what needs to be known, as we would simply be coaching for exams, not using study to broaden knowledge.

Several here seem to miss that the exam is the standard - pass or fail - and that past papers are readily available. Past papers break down the questions into sub-sections with points awarded, although there are some pigs periodically, particularly in Section C. A combination of the syllabus and review of past papers indicates rather clearly both the scope and the standard required, surely?

What was the Section C question of Mod 6 that caused concern? I've not seen a copy of the paper?

I think there is more than enough detail in the syllabus. I would be very wary of a detailed fact-by-fact breakdown of what needs to be known, as we would simply be coaching for exams, not using study to broaden knowledge.

Several here seem to miss that the exam is the standard - pass or fail - and that past papers are readily available. Past papers break down the questions into sub-sections with points awarded, although there are some pigs periodically, particularly in Section C. A combination of the syllabus and review of past papers indicates rather clearly both the scope and the standard required, surely?

What was the Section C question of Mod 6 that caused concern? I've not seen a copy of the paper?

can not remember the exact question but is was something like "describe the behaviour of bees from foraging for nectar until finished honey"

can not remember the exact question but is was something like "describe the behaviour of bees from foraging for nectar until finished honey"

Thanks MM. These sort of 1 sentence, 30 mark questions pop up infrequently on the papers. I greatly prefer the sub-divided questions, but you work with what you're given.

The key to one of these is to structure your answer before you start writing - that's what the sub-divided question does anyway. Take a moment to jot down bullet points, or a brief mind-map, or whatever, on your working sheet, to organise your answer and avoid getting bogged down in one aspect.

Wording of the question is important. In this instance it would dictate if and how much time I spent on communication, mindful that this is a key theme of this module, as opposed to the work and focus of an individual forager working in isolation.

Working backwards, the ripening process is an easy 10-ish marks if you know the process; if communication is included then that is another 10-ish marks (but easy to get bogged down in - describe how and what the dances etc. convey, not the minutiae of each dance); then finally that leaves 10-ish for foraging methods including impetus/recruitment to forage, switching from one forage source (or type) to another, navigation and scent marking, efficient search in good or poor forage areas.

OK, so that is based upon MM's recollection of the question, which may not match the nuance of the question asked. However, if the question is vague even when you've read over it a couple of times, the first sentence of your answer should start:

"The question is ambiguous but I understand it to mean..."

You will not pick up marks for correct but irrelevant facts, but if you've flagged a problem with the wording of the question and declared how you interpreted it, it sets the context of your answer. This requires confidence in the material, and shouldn't be used as a general get-out if you're not sure if you can answer the question as written but want to include things you can remember.

Hope that makes sense, I'm pre-coffee at the moment ;)

Well I'll have some of whatever you've had. Nice answer.

"The Army's target is that all personnel attain at least Level 1 (GCSE grade D-G or equivalent) literacy and numeracy standards within 3 years of joining."

It depends on what part you join but, essentially, yes. However much training is delivered at higher levels with many soldiers gain degrees by accrediting their learning.

I was told we should get the results before Christmas but I've not heard anything yet either.

They say about 6 weeks don't they? Wondering whether I imagined that... in which case deffo before Christmas.

You can take it again, probably with me as I have a long history of limited success at exams. Is it time to apply for the next lot of exams yet?

Dan
The bit that caused confusion was 'do not include pollen packing'. Some interpreted it as on to the leg and some as into the cell.

They say about 6 weeks don't they? Wondering whether I imagined that... in which case deffo before Christmas.

You can take it again, probably with me as I have a long history of limited success at exams. Is it time to apply for the next lot of exams yet?

almost three months yet to decide whether to retake

Module 1,2,3,6,8 Examinations, March– 23rd March 2013
(Applications in by 10th February 2013)

I get an added embarrassment as in my BKA they don't just give you the certificates they present them to you at our Christmas party or AGM

Last edited:
Dan

Sorry the forager collection pollen was mod 6 I think, not the nectar gatherer of mod 3.

Trying to do this on the bus home - sorry for my confusion.

Latest posts

Back