What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished making an oxalic acid vaporiser, have not tried it with oxalic acid yet but it boils water within a minute, A big thanks to Rab for the technical stuff.
Only cost me one jar of honey for the aluminium and enough to make a few more if desired.

Looks well made and hope it works well for you. Nice job.

Made up 6 12*14 & 3 national shallows. Nearly got caught out for kit this year, hopefully won't happen next. Cordless drill much better for my tennis elbow than a hammer :)

Working my way through a load of salvaged timber and constructing enough pieces of kit to make up ten hives, once finished will knock up a few frames. Should come in handy next year.

Thanks Tom and others

You have just reminded me of why I come to this forum.

There are some threads that WIND me up, what is the problem with google, look it up first AND then ask the Questions.

There's lots out there, most linked back to here, but it appears nobody can read.

Tim.

:sorry:

Good find yesterday, someone had thrown an old table top fan a skip that was working perfectly, I has a variable speed controller so perfect for a centrifuge so next is to make a swing out rotor, pity I don't have access to a cnc milling machine.

Looks well made and hope it works well for you. Nice job.

I tried it today with some oxalic and worked a treat, open air test not in a hive and I must say anyone using a vaporizer without a mask is very brave or very stupid

Paypaled in a sheet of this stuff http://www.suigeneris-buyonline.co.uk/GRP-Grating-for-platforms-walkways-flooring-and-covers and a diamond saw blade to cut it into an L-shaped flexible-use hive stand.

My concern is hive-to-hive transmission of vibration during inspections but I can always cut in firebreaks. Anyone else ever tried this? I'll let you know how I get on.

I know it's not cheap but nor is beekeeping at my level and maybe I can sell a nuc I wouldn't otherwise...

Sorry, gibberish - whar has paying a stupid sum for a hive stand got to do with raising more nucs?

It's not A hive stand, it will take about 5 when I am done, with space for nucs in gaps. Currently my nucs are a mess and so I might well be able to manage a couple I might not otherwise.

Paypaled in a sheet of this stuff http://www.suigeneris-buyonline.co.uk/GRP-Grating-for-platforms-walkways-flooring-and-covers and a diamond saw blade to cut it into an L-shaped flexible-use hive stand.

I know it's not cheap but nor is beekeeping at my level and maybe I can sell a nuc I wouldn't otherwise...

Seems a crazy price to me.
Can't see the advantage over pallets. If that's the sort of thing you are trying to achieve…
Personally, I've just bought some cheap decking beams from B&Q, which will be going onto breezeblocks as my forthcoming stand upgrades. (But first there's a few conifers to be removed from behind the hives, the ground levelled, membrane covered, top-dressed and only then can I erect the stands and move the hives - backwards - onto them. Always something to be done first!)

e5c689db8888ea20a9051869d2daace7.jpg

Made up the last insulated eeks I need for winter; one for a BB and one for a nuc. Quite proud of the BB design.

Whoever sized the small 50mm boards in Wickes is a beek. A sheet makes EXACTLY one BB (double thickness) and one nuc eek (National). 2 cuts. Incredible.

Maybe I'm having one of my 'thick' days - but how does an L-shaped hive stand work ? Have you got a diagram or link ? Also - could not this GRP be cut with a decent hand-saw - one of those with whizzo-hard teeth which most chippies seem to use these days ?

I'm lost again - what does "my level" mean ? Is there anything that anyone on here can help with ?

For example I can show a very simple way of making a flared-leg individual hive-stand using pallet wood, and for nucs it would be simple enough to make a couple of saw-horses, and run a couple of 6 or 8 feet timbers (fence posts) over them - could hold quite a few nucs that way.

LJ

Last edited:
081ef064e15d3187751943da6ad098ec.jpg

Here's a sketch of what I'm up to with schematic positions of hives. Plenty of room for nucs.

When I say "at my level" I mean amateur; It's not a money-making hobby. Wouldnt fancy cutting this stuff by hand; it is incredibly tough.

PS. I am short of space and this is a good solution. I use pallets but I cannot fit more than 3 pallets and bridging them is hopeless. This is my solution.

Last edited:
Here's a sketch of what I'm up to with schematic positions of hives. Plenty of room for nucs.

Thanks - so it's like a corner table, so you can make the best use of limited space. Got it now. Not something that folk with fields ever encounter. Bl##dy expensive solution, mind.

Still - on the positive side - it should last forever ... :)

LJ

Latest posts

Back