hi all

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornishprincess

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
hubby has restarted keeping bees again after 40 years so having to remember all he learnt so long ago and now needs advice on those little things he's forgotten

Lots of advice here. Some good, some bad, some outrageous, some ridiculous, some amusing, some not but always entertaining. Welcome.

Welcome to the forum.
Questions aren't daft (as they are an attempt to plug a knowledge gap), but some answers can be!

The major thing that he will have missed out on in the recent past is varroa and its control.
There is an official publication that summarises the official view of 'best practice'.
See http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=21261 for details

Note also that Beebase is the website where one should register one's bee colonies - not least so that, in the event of a local outbreak of disease, you get notified automatically and promptly.

Make sure he reads up about varroa......wasnt a problem 40 years ago!
Welcome to you and he
E

:welcome: to the forum.

You may wish to amend your gender in your profile to save confusion later on.

Tim.

I am also back into bees after a number of years. What a wealth of info this forum has. I hope you will find it as helpful as I have. Ask any question (from mobile phones to growing weeds) all are commented on.

Last edited:
I am also back into bees after a number of years. What a wealth of info this forum has. I hope you will find it as helpful as I have. Ask any question (from mobile phones to growing weed) all are commented on.

The advice won't be on the open forum though.

Meant weeds (rose bay willow herb) not weed!!!!

:welcome: to the forum MikeT.

Sorry, we are all going to get shed crazy soon, so expect similar for a month or two.

Tim.

Ask any question (from mobile phones to growing weeds) all are commented on.

The advice won't be on the open forum though.

Meant weeds (rose bay willow herb) not weed!!!!

Told you....:icon_204-2:

Somebody found the edit button after the event!!

:welcome::welcome: MikeT, you've got the forum sussed.

We ALL knew what you meant but it's October and in theory our bees have gone to bed, But our hives are still out flying like it's still May. Probably on Ivy and Willow Herb. Anybody that wants Willow herb just come down to the SW on holiday, we can supply tonnes, as it isn't affected by most weedkillers.

Tim.

Hubby likely needs to forget a lot that he would have been told 40 years ago.

There are lots on here that still operate that way, but they are slowly being sussed by the new beeks (I hope).

Apart from the added dimension of varroa, things have got simpler since back then. OMFs have largely replaced solid floors so no other ventilation at all is required at any time. Proper insulation is being used, rather than the meagre carpet tiles and old newspapers back then. One or two new hive developments but nothing radical - the National is still in use as it was 40 years ago - apart from some wacky ideas (wacky here not particularly referring to backy!).

The larger National format (14 x12) has been adopted by many and one or two of us have changed to the more sensible top bee space, like the Langstroth has used for 150 years.

So beekeeping in this century is basically simple, even though some try their hardest to harp back to the dinosaur period when they were mistaught.

RAB
(One of the few posters that will tell you the truth without wrapping it up in cotton wool)

I think the op will soon realise there has been little change.

So beekeeping in this century is basically simple, even though some try their hardest to harp back to the dinosaur period when they were mistaught.

I resemble that remark!

Hope hubbei joins his local association, be it West Cornwall or Cornwall, very welcoming and helpful, I have many friends across the Tamar

James

You were a bit of a rabbit in an earlier life on the forum? Hoppity hop? Can you?

A most definite resemblance.

Latest posts

Back