Rose Hive at Thornes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martyn

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Bought a couple of Rose Hive boxes to make up. I'm afraid they are not made to the same standard as their other goods. Had a bit of reworking to do. Think I will make my own from scratch from now on. Ok Ok at £13+ what did I expect

Don't think they would be any different from the firsts, the main problem i have seen with them is excessive shrinkage of the pine ends

if you still have some unmade, leave one pine end out in the rain and the other in a dry warm room for a week, the diffference in depth can become quite extreme, i made some up and had to soak the pine ends in a water but for two days to get them to the same depth as the ply sides

Rose Hive

No they were not seconds. Seconds of anything they sell are only available at sale time. Naively I always thought Thornes seconds were system rejects. However I was told on a tour of the premises that they are specifically made as seconds.

No they were not seconds. Seconds of anything they sell are only available at sale time. Naively I always thought Thornes seconds were system rejects. However I was told on a tour of the premises that they are specifically made as seconds.

You did post right after their Rand sale!

AFAIK, most 'seconds' are made from second quality timber (with the odd knot). But there are also sale seconds with blemishes that prevent them being sold as prime.

What problems did you encounter with these boxes and have you asked Thorne about them?

did you by them out the main shop????? or did you by them off the pallets in the yard??? because all the stuff in the yard and in the barn was seconds I cant believe they were bought out of the main shop for £13-00

They are listed at £13.44 each in the catalogue with the other expensive stuff.

Same online, but the description is worth noting …
A simple design made from Russian Redwood and exterior quality plywood. Use the box (190mm) deep) as a substitute for both brood bodies and supers.

Latest posts

Back