BBKA ADM procedure - emergency motion?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itma

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Do the BBKA ADM rules have any procedure for introducing an Emergency Resolution, for matters arising after the normal closing date?

I'm thinking particularly about Small Hive Beetle, and the BBKA's frankly spineless attitude so far.
The very least that the BBKA should be urgently demanding is a temporary ban on bee importation from Italy and any other territory where an infestation may be discovered.
Malta has already imposed one.

See http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=450581&postcount=125

I am surprised they haven't called for a ban despite DEFRA saying that the transport of bees is the primary risk.

Do the BBKA ADM rules have any procedure for introducing an Emergency Resolution, for matters arising after the normal closing date?

I'm thinking particularly about Small Hive Beetle, and the BBKA's frankly spineless attitude so far.
The very least that the BBKA should be urgently demanding is a temporary ban on bee importation from Italy and any other territory where an infestation may be discovered.
Malta has already imposed one.

See http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=450581&postcount=125

I believe there is a motion on that subject, ITMA.

...I'm thinking particularly about Small Hive Beetle, and the BBKA's frankly spineless attitude so far.
The press release from the BBKA
To BBKA Members
25 September 2014
FURTHER STATEMENT RE SMALL HIVE BEETLE IN ITALY

BBKA representatives attended the meeting of the Bee Health Advisory Forum held at Defra’s offices on Millbank, on 23 September 2014.

At our request, the discovery of Small Hive Beetle (SHB) in South West Italy as a priority item on the agenda. We learned that the Italian authorities have established a 100km exclusion zone around the apiary where SHB was first found. No exports of bees will be permitted from within this area. However, we expressed the strong view that movements of bees carried a far lower risk than that of the shipment of fruit, vegetables and other plant materials from this area and which are more likely to spread SHB.

The BBKA and other stakeholders at the meeting pressed Defra hard to take steps to avert this major risk via shipments of produce. We are unhappy with an approach which is dependent principally on the actions of the local authorities or on containment measures once SHB is found in the UK. We have insisted that Defra keeps us fully informed of developments and the measures put into effect to combat this threat with all vigour. We will share this information with members as and when received.

Dr David Aston
I would assume since nothing has been released from the BBKA for two months that nothing has been received from DEFRA since. There is no note of any lobbying outside the routine meetings.

Having now seen some of the ADM papers, I learn that there is a motion tabled on this subject - well done West Sussex!

So, lets start a new thread on account of that …

Regarding my original query, the answer is in the Standing Orders for the 2015 ADM
10. URGENCY PROPOSITIONS No Proposition, or Amendment arising from that Proposition, shall be accepted or moved if it has not first appeared on the agenda, unless ‘LEAVE OF URGENCY’ is granted by the Meeting. An Urgency Proposition shall be given in writing to the Chairman before the Meeting, and the text shall be displayed or circulated to the Delegates. Urgency Propositions should (a) address a matter of major concern and (b) that matter should have come to the Proposer’s notice unavoidably too late to be included in the normal procedure.

Latest posts

Back