Gloves

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heather wrote
Code:
I wash gloves between hives, but if a hive I am unsure of, then yes, clean gloves too. 
And I have invested in cotton gauntlets.. best £5 I have spent in ages. No gap twixt glove and suit, so relaxed beekeeping. It all helps with inspections.

I swear by the cotton gauntlets to cover the gap between glove & sleeve and protect the wrist,
Only problem is bees often want to attack the gauntlets and bury themselves in the cotton.
Has anyone tried adding anything to the wash to get around this problem.
Alec

I'm a nitrile user.
They do split and tear.
Problem is when putting on the second glove the hand is now moist so new glove won't slide on easily.
Some talc would help but one more thing to carry.
If I'm in the middle of an inspection and the torn pair are not falling off the hand I find it easier to just put the second pair over the first.
Any other ideas?
Alec

I buy the blue plastic ones with cuffs from paines. They are brilliant, wash them in soda after every use. They are thick but not so thick as to be clumsy. I have been keeping bees for thirty years. Clumsiness is not due to thick gloves. Care is important. I don't like getting stung. It makes me jump!
E

I'm a nitrile user.

Problem is when putting on the second glove the hand is now moist so new glove won't slide on easily.
Some talc would help but one more thing to carry.

Alec

Start off with two pairs of gloves in the first place.
Just change the top pair

Long-cuff purple nitriles most of the year while bees are calm; soft close-fitting leather with the nitriles over when taking honey or if they get stroppy for any other reason. Neither seem to hamper dexterity, I can safely mark queens in either. Cotton gauntlets are helpful if I get 'burrowy' bees who want to crawl up inside my cuffs - a tendency in one colony last year that I'd like to breed out!

... Clumsiness is not due to thick gloves. Care is important. I don't like getting stung. ...

My point was that thick gloves are often chosen because of previous clumsiness, and actually make the problem worse.

Its easier to be careful and gentle with thinner and cleaner gloves.
If one really is being careful and gentle with the bees and they still sting frequently ... then it is time to seriously tackle the improvement of your stock.

Disposable plastic oversleeves (as used by care workers) bridge the gap between nitrile glove and end of sleeves of bee jacket . They last for several apiary visits before the elastic goes and prevent bees going up your sleeves. Although thin the bees aren't inclined to sting or burrow into them like they do with cotton ones.
Got mine from
http://www.justgloves.co.uk/13724_-Disposable-Clothing.html

Code:
Disposable plastic oversleeves (as used by care workers) bridge the gap between nitrile glove and end of sleeves of bee jacket . They last for several apiary visits before the elastic goes and prevent bees going up your sleeves. Although thin the bees aren't inclined to sting or burrow into them like they do with cotton ones.
Got mine from 
http://www.justgloves.co.uk/13724_-D...-Clothing.html

Excellent idea, and less than £2.00 for 100.
Only problem now is whether to choose the white. Red or blue?
Thanks
Alec

Start off with two pairs of gloves in the first place.
Just change the top pair

Spot on!!
A few drawbacks have been mentioned, it's a case of trial and error. I find nitriles quite flimsy, they tear easily, get stuck to propolis and start flapping, now that's what I call adding clumsiness due to the gloves and not the beek. Getting another pair on over sweaty hands, no chance.
Leather gloves help to keep your paws feeling a little better because they absorb the sweat but I find the gauntlet just makes your arm warmer.
I have access to vinyl disposables so I just use marigolds with vinyls on top which can be disposed of as and when they get messy. Not ideal because I still pour sweat out of them and my hands are still a mess after inspections. If you have burrowers or wrist elastic has worn out, a bit of tape around the join will do the job.
After all this baking in a beesuit, Hivemaker will be along shortly with stories of T shirts, moccasins and the occasional veil, never mind gloves. :)

K*mberly-Cl*rk purple nitrile extra with extended cuff are available in boxes of fifty and are just that little bit stronger than the blue nitriles. A little more expensive but I have washed and re-used them before now when I've been in a particularly mean mood.
Suggest you try them if you're anti-leather and are wary of getting stung through the blue ones.

Spot on!!
After all this baking in a beesuit, Hivemaker will be along shortly with stories of T shirts, moccasins and the occasional veil, never mind gloves. :)

I did just that last year - in the warmest days.. One nasty hive (since requeened) decided to sting me in my armpit s

Since then , T shirt with tight sleeves... and jeans and veil.. when warm.

Latest posts

Back