Gloves

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Hammond

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
What's gloves are good to use while handling bees ?
Are latex gloves ok or the nitrile coated gloves?

Thanks for the reminder - got to go to Lidls and get a couple of packets!

Most folk use ordinary washing up gloves. (50p a pair in Lidl)
I've taken to using Lidl's thinner disposable gloves. (£5/100 when they have them.) Sometimes nitrile, sometimes not. Barely any difference to me.

The pukka things (as used by the inspectorate) are long cuff blue nitriles - at about 3x Lidl's price.

As thin as possible and you will feel the bees before they sting you.

Mike.

Euro Car Parts Nitriles are good and cheap.

Use with Marigolds for really naughty bees..

My Bad joking aside, to someone just out of their first year, who has only ever approached his Bees like the proverbial Michelin Man ... :)

Wearing Marigolds or latex gloves.. does the sting fully penetrate ?

Appreciate the undoubted benefit of being able to actually feel properly what you are handling, as opposed the increased clumsiness the heavier leather gloves cause ( not to say I dont bring my own level of clumsiness :) ).

My Bad joking aside, to someone just out of their first year, who has only ever approached his Bees like the proverbial Michelin Man ... :)

Wearing Marigolds or latex gloves.. does the sting fully penetrate ?

Appreciate the undoubted benefit of being able to actually feel properly what you are handling, as opposed the increased clumsiness the heavier leather gloves cause ( not to say I dont bring my own level of clumsiness :) ).

They'll sting through marigolds, nitriles, leather and those thick blue ones with cuff.
Leather ones don't cause clumsiness, if you wear the correct size they are tight fitting which allows you to even feel bees.

I have friends that use the leather gloves without complaint.
I have access to the nitrile ones for free so use them. The bonus is being able to bin them when they get all sticky and I can use a new pair if visiting someone else apiary to reduce the risk of spreading any nasties.
I haven't gone gloveless yet, that is another option.

Last edited:
Bookers were selling marigolds cheap a few weeks ago, so I'm back to using them again. I find a sting will usually get through nitrile gloves, but usually will not through marigolds.

I have friends that use the leather gloves without complaint.
I have access to the nitrile ones for free so use them. The bonus is being able to bin them when they get all sticky and I can use a new pair if visiting someone else apiary to reduce the risk of spreading any nasties.
I haven't gone gloveless yet, that is another option.

I started gloveless - in 2010. Averaged 50 stings a year to 2013.. Then 70 odd in 2014. I used to swell a bit where stung, itchiness etc. Now after the first couple of stings of a new season, I have minimal reactions.

But stings still hurt so I always have gloves with me for bad hives.

Nitriles on top of marigolds are virtually impenetrable...

i use Morison's own brand 2 pair's .47p...and you can turn them inside out ,,more use ,and save a bit...

They'll sting through marigolds, nitriles, leather and those thick blue ones with cuff.
Leather ones don't cause clumsiness, if you wear the correct size they are tight fitting which allows you to even feel bees.

:yeahthat:
I don't particularly like feeling bees as they don't usually like feeling me, If I need to mark a queen then gloves come off and that's it

OK , but.. surely with nitrile even over marigolds the handling of hive components is easier in that one would sense more through these than thru leather with its stitched joints ??

Its not that the gloves help prevent stings its more that they prevent the hands becoming ingrained with propolis.

How do you wash leather, and have clean gloves when doing the next hive?
Really?
You change gloves for every hive? Should we assume that you never move frames between hives?
Different apiaries, fair enough, other than that it's overkill.

OK , but.. surely with nitrile even over marigolds the handling of hive components is easier in that one would sense more through these than thru leather with its stitched joints ??
What is there to feel other than maybe a bee under your finger?

Back