Home made vapouriser

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The description is badly flawed - there are two 'X,Y' measurements given for the same item, with the thickness being given as 7mm. But - if you enlarge the centre photograph, you'll see that this device is made from 3 layers of equal thickness aluminium with a small additional gap. That suggests that the mounting plate (with the holes) is 2mm thick - which can't possibly be right, as it's an extrusion (and one which has been roughly cut with a hacksaw). So the device must therefore be much thicker - maybe 17mm ?

Add to this the thickness of your pan, and some insulation underneath - and it's going to be too thick to fit into a beehive slot.

IMO, a diesel pre-heater is a much better option - these can sit to the side, or even *inside* the pan - and are built to survive in the most hostile of operating conditions.

Just my opinion ...
LJ

I wonder if the electricians etc out there can tell me if this would be suitable to use to make my own vaporiser. It appears to get to the right temperature.[/url]

Thanks.
Not an an electrical engineer ot even an electrician, but the basic Varrox design is designed to get the holding cup to 280-290C in 2.5 to 3 minutes and draws approx 150W.

Any good?

Doubtful, at around 12W.

The dimensions on the first one don't look far out, if at all. Would need something to keep the oxalic in place when it loses its water of crystallisation and turns into a liquid/slurry.

Not an an electrical engineer ot even an electrician, but the basic Varrox design is designed to get the holding cup to 280-290C in 2.5 to 3 minutes and draws approx 150W.

Why so hot? The optimal sublimation temp for oxalic is 157 C. It degrades if too hot.
I really need to know if the electrics are OK. Does this thing heat up to 180C, with 12V through it?

Last edited:
I've used a similar thing for space heating - attached to a large sheet of aluminium. It worked fine. At the price, I'd just get one and try it.

As a alternative - I went to a local man who is a toolmaker. I had no more than a picture I printed off the internet and I told him it was a diesel glow plug that powered it. I told him to make the "bowl" of the vapouriser big enough to contain a good tea spoon full of sugar. Thats all he needed and the vapouriser is working perfectly. The whole thing cost €70, materials included.

Why so hot? The optimal sublimation temp for oxalic is 157 C. It degrades if too hot.
I really need to know if the electrics are OK. Does this thing heat up to 180C, with 12V through it?
The ApiBioxal leaflet, link below, suggests the 280-290C final temperature. I've not done extensive testing, just used the Varrox but essentially you're heating a pile of oxalic in an open pan. You need a fair energy input to get the heating element, the pan and the oxalic up to sublimation temperature and get it out of the pan, leaving very little, if any, residue. Sublimation in an open pan is not going to see the oxalic heated much higher than it takes to leave the pan, just as it takes confinement and pressure to get water over 100C. The exact final temperature will vary with previous use, any water left from previous cooling, ambient temperature, any wind or draught, size of box, the mesh it rests on, state of charge of the battery and other factors. So you needa safety margin. If you're making your own, you'll need to experiment because the current, the amount of metalwork and shape of your device will determine how heat accumulates and disperses over the 2 or 3 minutes connected. I'm guessing that the final temperature is what the Varrox and/or Apibioxal makers were seeing experimentally when heated for long enough to sublimate the crystals plus what they considered as a safety margin.

http://www.cari.be/medias/permanent/package_leaflet_api_bioxal_2011_en.pdf

This is a vapouriser I made a year or two back, and still use as a 'reference' when making others. I needed one to poke into a 22mm hole, rather than a wide slot - so the pan had to be small - but it's still big enough to easily take 1 gram of OA. The trick to keeping it compact was to install the Diesel pre-heater tip inside the pan. :) :

oqye51.jpg

... and here's a shot of a thermocouple attached to the underside of the pan so that I can monitor the temperature in real time. :

2la7upt.jpg

Although an OA vapouriser made from machined aluminium looks far more workmanlike, by keeping the mass of the pan to <20 grams, warm-up and cool-down are both very quick, and vapourisation is complete in 1 min 2 secs from stone cold.

BTW - the wooden block is part of an experiment I'm currently running to introduce OA vapour through a crown board feed hole, and will have a computer fan on it's top to propel the vapour downwards ...

LJ

Last edited:

I've used a similar thing for space heating - attached to a large sheet of aluminium. It worked fine. At the price, I'd just get one and try it.

This thing is said to draw 50 watts.
That ain't much of a space heater … a lightbulb would be simpler and cheaper!

I would go for something like this;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item41880ba2ab

It won't take much to turn it into a vaporiser

Oh yeah ... Just try doing that yourself, before recommending such an unsuitable device to others.

Would you care to upload pictures of OA vapourisers that you've made yourself and have worked ?

I fail to understand why people are continually trying to use novel heating devices, when some of us have already spent many fruitless hours playing with such things, and are more than willing to advise others in order to save them from wasting both their time and money.

For example - I once tried to use the ceramic elements from 50W soldering irons - only to discover that one wasn't enough, so I started on a vapouriser design which would incorporate two. :

15cmsdd.jpg

That's as far as it ever got, for while making this I 'discovered' diesel pre-heater glow plugs - and now I wouldn't even consider using anything else, as they are PERFECT for the job.

So why not take advantage of the experiences of others ?

Only two forms of viable DIY OA evaporators have thus far emerged from countless hours of experimentation: the copper tube & gas torch method, and the use of Diesel pre-heater glow-plugs. Just 'do a Google' to check this.

Anyone playing with anything else is almost guaranteed to be wasting their time.

LJ

I agree with LJ, the simple ideas are out there to be used.

When I made mine, I did just a tiny bit of research beforehand. Finding out the wattage of the varrox sublimator was all that was required.

150W was the same power as three diesel glowplugs from a peugeot XUD engine. Simple enough to turn a bowl to take the acid, with three drillings for the glow plugs. At the time it needed to be less than entrance height on a National (22mm). I wired glow plugs in parallel, then with a long, heavy duty lead to croc clips for the battery connection. What is simpler than that? No rocket science or dreaming up possible alternatives that probably won't work.

Oh yeah ... Just try doing that yourself, before recommending such an unsuitable device to others.

Would you care to upload pictures of OA vapourisers that you've made yourself and have worked ?

I fail to understand why people are continually trying to use novel heating devices, when some of us have already spent many fruitless hours playing with such things, and are more than willing to advise others in order to save them from wasting both their time and money.

For example - I once tried to use the ceramic elements from 50W soldering irons - only to discover that one wasn't enough, so I started on a vapouriser design which would incorporate two. :

15cmsdd.jpg

That's as far as it ever got, for while making this I 'discovered' diesel pre-heater glow plugs - and now I wouldn't even consider using anything else, as they are PERFECT for the job.

So why not take advantage of the experiences of others ?

Only two forms of viable DIY OA evaporators have thus far emerged from countless hours of experimentation: the copper tube & gas torch method, and the use of Diesel pre-heater glow-plugs. Just 'do a Google' to check this.

Anyone playing with anything else is almost guaranteed to be wasting their time.

LJ

Here we are little John a few photos of mine.
Just to let you know a friend of mine successfully made a vaporiser from what I suggested.

That's not a bad price, let me know how you get on

Well I liked the instructions for the bees ....

"During processing, the bees must comply with safety requirementsin terms of eye protection and breathing of vapors of oxalic acid. Guarantee of unit - 1 year"

There's another couple of products for JBM to add to his fortune making line up of bee leg warmers and beeotards - bee respirators and bee goggles !

There's another couple of products for JBM to add to his fortune making line up of bee leg warmers and beeotards - bee respirators and bee goggles !

On the case - got to convince the human id!ots to wear PPE is a harder task though

Latest posts

Back