Opinions - best vehicle for Beeks?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmmmmmm, looks like a big BMW mini with tow shackles and hook

That looks crap I would never buy it.

Also the new mini is bigger than my C4 since when was a mini not mini.

hmmmmmm, looks like a big BMW mini with tow shackles and hook

That's just the one!

Aren't they expecting family of three, same as Range-Rover but with emphasis on durability against luxury?

Baby, Sport and "proper" Defender

I drove from Derby to Sheffield with one hive in the boot and another in the passenger seat next to me in my golf. I was winking all the way home. :biggrinjester:

and will not require constant cleaning before taking SWMBO out to town etc-

Enrico got there first with a deluxe electric wheelbarrow, but what's wrong with an ordinary one. Tin hat on!

My Pogo 205 was good enough for a long time.....

Depends if you want to share the space with the bees, or not.

I use a Ford Galaxy for most things, with the seats down in the back you can get a huge amount of stuff in there. Its a real workhorse of a car, seats 7 and very reliable.

If you don't want to have the bees in the same space as you, I'd recommend the Mitsubushi L200. HWMBO has one with a double cab. It has enough room in the front to seat 5 people in comfort and has a lockable cab on the back where I can put hives. 4WD and high ground clearance mean there's no problems with muddy fields or intimidating others from car parking spaces. We've now had two, the old one had the turning circle of a tank, our current version is much improved!

Best vehicle for beeks!

I'm looking for a new beekeeping vehicle, something that can be used just for that purpose and will not require constant cleaning before taking SWMBO out to town etc

A TARDIS! fits all requirements

I drive a Jazz: takes 6 assembled Langs in rear.. not occupied with bees tho..

And it has built in shackles for holding down hives... very thoughtful..

Toyota hilux surf does everything i need.

That looks crap I would never buy it.

Also the new mini is bigger than my C4 since when was a mini not mini.

Not a mini. It's the BMW 0.5. Though more like BMW 0.75 nowadays...

I'm looking for a new beekeeping vehicle...
What did you go for in the end? We're also looking for a new car, with beekeeping in mind and are considering the 4x4 Yeti.

What did you go for in the end? We're also looking for a new car, with beekeeping in mind and are considering the 4x4 Yeti.

I have a Yeti 4x4 1.8 (petrol as I'm not into Diesels). Would highly recommend them. Good in all weathers (made for the Baltic countries in mind)
Seats down or out altogether, they give you great flexible carrying space.
Had inflatables, fuel tanks, outboard motor and God knows what in mine with plenty of space left.
Very comfy to drive and good value as a buy. No doubt you've checked out the Youtube videos of them. Used as emergency vehicles in many countries where big stuff can't reach. Car/Van. Brilliant:driving:

My Jeep and a 5x8 trailer is all I need for the queen/nuc side of my apiary.

DSC_0958.jpg

Got to be a Defender, only two snags:

The back is an inch two narrow for two hives side by side

In answer to a previous query, you don't talk about mpg, it's gpm!

Series 2 Landrover

I have a 1961 Series 2 Landrover. Go anywhere within reason , no road tax and classic insurance this year £74 . If you buy a good series Landrover they are cheap to run and will retain there value if not increase some . I can put four hives in mine plus supas and all the other bits and pieces and if I get honey etc in it I wash the back out with a hose. also great to take friends to the pub in the summer .

Terrano, work horse, ewe nose it.

I have a Kia Sportage, so will cope with off roady stuff. can get 4 hives in.
(Well, its his car really- but not getting my little MX-5 sticky, am I?)

Got to be a Defender, only two snags:

The back is an inch two narrow for two hives side by side

In answer to a previous query, you don't talk about mpg, it's gpm!

My Mercedes M Class 4x4 regularly carries 4 commercial hives, 16 supers, 4 Ashworth feeders, two nucs and tool kit. Plus one in the passenger seat. First class go-anywhere performance. The best 4x4 training is at Mercedes Benz World in Weybridge.

The best 4x4 training is at Mercedes Benz World in Weybridge.

I have to disagree (unless you consider mounting the pavement on the school run 'off road' :D)

Combined forces driving school, Normandy Barracks, Beverley - and the best thing (as the instructors told us) we didn't even have to pay for it!

Latest posts

Back