Opinions - best vehicle for Beeks?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1993 defender would not be without it. Its a pick up I put a false floor in the back to carry clearer boards and other spares under then hives on top I can get six on at a time.

aga8e5en.jpg

Defender all the way.

What's the mpg on that beauty?

20 hives or 40 singles, or get the double cab you'l prob fit more than enough hives in a standard L200 bed. Takes us anywhere we want, leaves some defenders in the mud (and has certainly pulled a few out!)

I use an electric powered muck truck. Sort of a four wheel drive wheelbarrow! I can't sit in it but it will carry huge weights, climb mountains, and cost nearly as much as a car..... But I wouldn't be without it. Gets my hives down the mountain side!

I use an electric powered muck truck. Sort of a four wheel drive wheelbarrow! I can't sit in it but it will carry huge weights, climb mountains, and cost nearly as much as a car..... But I wouldn't be without it. Gets my hives down the mountain side!

don't you find the extension lead gets snagged up everywhere?

Wow!

Lots of suggestions so far - many thanks. Have been reading up on a few makes/models. Favourite so far is the Berlingo XTR+ with the improved drive for off road. That may change in another few minutes of browsing :). As for trailers I did buy a little 6x4 (Erde brand, hard suspension) when I first started but it was not practicable when carrying full supers, unless you want to extract a lot of honey onto the trailer floor on the way home :(

It's great to get info like this from other beeks before making any decisions.

What's the mpg on that beauty?

Around 30 to 35 mpg. Td5 double cab with the floor levelled out. Provides a nice dry ish stow away place for smaller bits.

The roof rack was designed to take 12 hives. It's ok in the spring when moving to osr etc but much later they are to heavy to put up their.

Then it's a trailer all the way, the weight of the full hives makes it ride allot better then with empty ones.

I wouldn't be without it, when your hives are sat at the far end of a wet boggy field it saves alloy of carrying heavy hives and supers.

20 hives or 40 singles, or get the double cab you'l prob fit more than enough hives in a standard L200 bed. Takes us anywhere we want, leaves some defenders in the mud (and has certainly pulled a few out!)

Correct tyre choice makes all the difference, you can have the best 4x4 going but fit the wrong tyres for your intended use and you won't go anywhere.

I would like a ford transit county 4x4 with overdrive and raised suspension but they go for ridiculous prices

well by choice a Landrover 2A with new parabolic springs and a 200tdi engine from a Discovery,

your choice whether to fit new engine mounts as if you dont repalce them there is so much din you cannt hear SWMBO screaming "you cant take it down there it's too steep"

Now on our fourth Suzuki Vitara.. all purchases made second hand through our local dealer.
Not one had been used in 4wd before we laid hands upon it, obviously used to take little "dahlings" to school in Totnes!
Inexpensive and have ( with correct tyres ) excellent off road capability.
I would not touch either polly lanfstroths or anything with Rover on it with the longest barge pole one could place hands upon, too overpriced and snobishly overrated.

James

hmmmmmm, looks like a big BMW mini with tow shackles and hook

tow shackles and hook.
gives an off road look to an otherwise streetwise vehicle?
Now where does one buy the "spray on mud" for the real off road look

James

I would not touch either polly lanfstroths or anything with Rover on it with the longest barge pole one could place hands upon, too overpriced and snobishly overrated.

James

This one was cheap enough, ex MOD spent some time in the Falklands and came with real bullets under the seats. They can be dear but if you have a few spanners a hammer and welder if will last more than a life time.

Wouldn't have any other rover though, as the build quality would get to me at least an older defender you get away it.

Latest posts

Back