What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-1˚ here to so husband and I managed to repair the hive stands with new wood and moved boxes to be united closer to each other.
Lovely hum from all hives.... :)

Not quite so cold here in the west country but not much above zero, so not a bee in sight when I visited the hives this morning. A low varroa drop on the boards, less than a dozen on each since the oxalic treatment over a week ago.
Both hives still fairly heavy, and I also put an ear to the brood boxes to hear quite a solid hum from both, so all seems well.

Checked fondant on weakest hive, still plenty there and a lovely buzz from within. Not long now.

Minus two measured as a minimum in the apiary last night - it's very sheltered and rarely gets much below freezing.... already minus three here tonight and clear skies so it will probably get colder ... Not worried about the bees - snug as a bug in a rug - Colony temp in the LDH is 12 degrees ... they must be right under the sensor I think.

Put fondant on two light hives,
Removed inspection trays from 2 hives treated with vaporiser last Monday,both had 100/150 approx dead varroa
Do you feel another treatment is necessary?
Thanks

Checked a few apiaries today, all okay, nice big frying pan sized clusters of bees on top of the crown boards.

... but in the virtual apiary we have been simulating trees today

bush.jpg

Not strictly my apiary but did find one of these on an outing!

Attachments

• IMG_0615.JPG
    IMG_0615.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 73
Just wandered round and watched a few bees venturing out in the sunshine ... not very warm so only the hardiest ones having a look - not poo flights - they were orienting and heading off to look for something ... bless them. After the well sub zero temperatures we've had lately I was surprised to see the inner temp of my Long Hive up in the low twenties ... must be sitting right under the sensor. Had a check of all inspection boards ... haven't had chance to look since last Sunday when I cleaned them off ... 5 mites on one poly hive, none at all on the other, about a dozen on the Long Hive floor - majority of them in the square under the bee gym. Nothing I'm going to worry about ... Got a lump of aluminium bar and some diesel glow plugs on ebay to set about a Redwood style vapouriser when I get a minute to spare. Total cost so far £8.75 on ebay ...(and I got four glow plugs in the pack so a few spares or a double heater element had occurred to me ?).

We had Bill Summers at the Association last night giving a talk on his Zest Hive:

http://thezesthive.com/

http://www.shropshirebees.co.uk/pdf/zest

Very interesting ... and lots of food for thought. I like to see new ideas - I don't agree with some of his comments but a lot of what he says has a very strong synergy with what I see in my super-insulated long deep hive.

Hi all,
All colonies in the sun out and about. One nuc having orientation flights with fanning included. Probably gearing up for tomorrow with slightly warmer weather than today, so hopefully some pollen going in then. Notice varroa drop reducing on the 'problem' hive, but wondering if that is just due to colder weather? No drones flying anymore on this hive, but that too could be due to the cold. Have to wait and see.

Removed another mouse corpse from the beeshed traps and reset them. Peanut butter makes a really effective bait.
Just can't see where the little f's are getting in.
Cazza

Went to Association apiary and assisted in wiring off lower part of shed to prevent rodent/leaf infestation. Called away when partially complete to meeting at local pub (pre opening hours so coffee).

Lovely Sunny morning here :nature-smiley-016: so thought I'd check on the garden hives. All still alive and have nice big clusters seen throught the Perspex. So far so good! Applied fondant under insulation to another 2 colonies which were hefting a bit light.

Made up a few more insulation 'cushions' from leftover rockwool and bin bags. I find these mould around the fondant nicely.

I really need to make some plans to unite, give away or sell some colonies come Spring as I think 10 is probably as much as I can comfortably manage!

Still waiting on my sale items to arrive.........quite looking forward to some 'shed-time'! ;)

Latest posts

Back