Help - zip on bee suit hood replacement

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RosieMc

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hope someone can help

The hood zip on my bee suit needs replacing. I can't find the one I need on line or in the shops. I am unsure as to what search words are to use either, so that doesn't help. Double ended? Open? Ring pull double open ended? No idea, but I have spent a couple of wasted hours searching

The old zip is 33 long (83cm), so I think it needs to be this size to fit on the body of the suit. I have seen some replacement hoods on line, but the sizes are wrong

A replacement hood would be ideal as the mesh has gone too.
thanks

Hope someone can help

The hood zip on my bee suit needs replacing. I can't find the one I need on line or in the shops. I am unsure as to what search words are to use either, so that doesn't help. Double ended? Open? Ring pull double open ended? No idea, but I have spent a couple of wasted hours searching

The old zip is 33 long (83cm), so I think it needs to be this size to fit on the body of the suit. I have seen some replacement hoods on line, but the sizes are wrong

thanks

This may sound obvious but have you tried the place you bought it

Hope someone can help

thanks

Here you are:

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=29362

Washed my newish suit for the first time today (well the missus did!) Just spent 2 hours trying to re-attached the hood, tried everything including suit on, suit off, inside out, upside down. Reached screaming point, wanted to rip the thing in two when the wife came in from work. After a grumpy hello and a sulky walk into the kitchen to put the kettle on, she followed me in 'here you go love, hood attached!! Oh for the delicate touch of a woman!

Ah, thanks for the link Pargyle. I would never have found the zip I need -

It is a 'double ended two way separating zip'

Ah, thanks for the link Pargyle. I would never have found the zip I need -

It is a 'double ended two way separating zip'

Yep ... that's the boy .. cost me about £7 inc postage ... bit of a beggar to stitch into the suit ... I have an industrial sewing machine ... it obviously curves round the 'collar' so it's a bit of a fiddle to get it right but got there eventually. Much, much, stronger zip than the original one ... very happy with it.

I found a very good seamstress who replaced my zip and charged a very small amount to do it. Well worth it if you can find one unless of course your a whizz on a machine which I'm not.

Hope someone can help

thanks

Don't replacement hoods come with both halves of the zip?

Fragile Planet mended the mesh on mine last year but they do all types of repairs as well - cheap and efficient. Google will find them.

Don't replacement hoods come with both halves of the zip?

Yes they do, but be careful. When I remove the hood of my suit, the head hole is 33 inches circumference. I did find a replacement hood on the web, but it fits a head hole of 37 inches, hence to wide.

Latest posts

Back