largest wasps nest i have ever seen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

protheroe

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
a few
i have seen them football size but not this big before.i was called to do a cut out on a shed but found this instead.i asked the gent to leave them there and remove the nest nearer winter as it was unlikely they would bother him unless he disturbed the nest.if you read this jbm its a good job you didnt have time to do a cut out as this was the one i contacted you about.the gent was sure they were honey bees.its surprising how many people cant tell the difference.

i have seen them football size but not this big before.i was called to do a cut out on a shed but found this instead.i asked the gent to leave them there and remove the nest nearer winter as it was unlikely they would bother him unless he disturbed the nest.if you read this jbm its a good job you didnt have time to do a cut out as this was the one i contacted you about.the gent was sure they were honey bees.its surprising how many people cant tell the difference.

Not many around these parts this year . Think I would leave it alone too at this time of the year. Another few months they'll be gone anyway.

And their will be queens hibernating everywhere! Sorry Karol, know what you will probably say but I would dispose of them!

None the less, isn't a wasp nest a beautiful thing.

Not many around these parts this year . Think I would leave it alone too at this time of the year. Another few months they'll be gone anyway.

Don't count your wasps before they are hatched!! Before this spell of warm weather kicked in I was emptying my wasp traps daily.

They will be back in numbers like we've never seen before!

i love how the different fibres make paterns of colours, someone once told me that the varius colours represent different plant fibres.

its still regarded my me as a medium one

largest i have ever found was three foot across and two foot long, the down side was when i found it , i had just ripped it in half by pulling at a blanket in this guys loft, 48hrs in hospital and a discolated shoulder for my troubles too.

i dont do wasps now close up, only from a distence

we had a wasps nest next to a hornets nest in old rabbit hutch in the garden, both recently abandoned, unusual to see them cohabiting in such close proximity, the hornets were in the lighter nest at the top and the wasps were in the darker one at the bottom, and were very small and very aggressive.

Last edited:
I've never seen a European Hornet's nest - lucky you. Isn't it beautiful.

I've never seen a European Hornet's nest - lucky you. Isn't it beautiful.

I am going to try to remove them very carefully Joy and try to keep them intact if at all possible, i know it wont be easy !

torch the lot, not a moments hesitation. Beautiful but a pain in the ass.

How may wasp queens would be in a nest that size come to think of it how many wasp queens leave to hibernate from a normal size nest?

Average nest circa 1500. That said only 1 on average will survive to form a colony the following year.

I just think he is lucky they havent eaten the paper cones out of the speakers to turn to pulp to add to the nest, There again the last speakers I had in my car Hummed when I turned the volume up, I wonder if there was a wasps nest in them as well ?:rolleyes:

None the less, isn't a wasp nest a beautiful thing.

Absolutely., I would leave them, I had a similar large one in a compost heap in my small suburban garden, tried all manner of organic ways to remove eventually gave up.

Not one sting to myself or kids all year, know of course they can by crotchety later in the year from now on, and can be a nuisance and even danger if not screened off with some bushes etc, but if they are would leave them.

Though after that experience would leave them, they are , as all creatures a vital component in our under siege ecosystem. I watch them now in their 10's and 20's removing aphids from my Opal plum tree . If we can see past the " Sharkophobia " headlines we see another beautiful creature fulfilling a vital role in our fragile ecosystem.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back