Bees ran out of space

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nige.Coll

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
some + a few more
I have a hive in my back yard and noticed their behaviour had changed, they were grumpy and a little defensive.
They have been busy and constantly bringing in food even in the rain.
My wife opened the door early this morning it was still dark but she was greeted by half a dozen bees.
I had a quick look inside and they have filled the brood chamber with stores only leaving small patches on the bottom of the frames clear for brood.
Added a super under the box so they have more space and within 5 minutes they have calmed down again.
It's the only hive I haven't had to feed.
Don't know what food they are finding but I wish they would tell the other hives about it.

Are you hoping HM will lay in that super, or that the workers will move stores down so that there is more room for laying in the BB? If so did you put at QX inbetween?

no QX they need the space for laying and stores they will sort it out.

might they be robbing from the others?

robbing not my other bees i have no bees within a mile of these so i doubt it

sry my post may have been misleading.
I only have 1 hive at home and the others are about a mile away and some more about 3 miles away.
They are mostly in range of the same village but the ones at home have gathered far more food than the ones at the farm. No honey crop as they were a swarm caught in late june/july time I think.

The farm apiary does suffer from robbing regardless of how small I make the entrances but it will work out in the end :)

Hi Nige,
Lot's of stores usually means no brood or very little of it. Are they Q+?

yeah they are q+ with bias .

don't know what they have found but going mad today bringing more pollen in by the lorry load not 1 or 2 at a time with yellow legs 10 at a time.
given them more space and they are trying to fill that now :)

yeah they are q+ with bias .

don't know what they have found but going mad today bringing more pollen in by the lorry load not 1 or 2 at a time with yellow legs 10 at a time.
given them more space and they are trying to fill that now :)

10 legs - what strain of bee do you keep? :icon_204-2:

i cross bred them with a centipede

All good then Nige. Feeding frenzy here too. Definitely Ivy, horrible sickly smell.

Latest posts

Back