Selling a complete frame of honey instead of extracting?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe9052

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
2xWBC,1xPolyNAT,1Apidea,14x12Nuc
Do anyone sell complete frames of honey without extracting?
So I suppose a massive section, instead of cutting it up for comb honey...

If so, any tips?
If not, why not?

Have seen them. You can buy special boxes for them...

Saw some on sale at Bristol Honey Festival for £45!!

I make that £450 per super, not bad with no extraction or bottling to do.

The guy on the stand explained to me that the price was high because they were in the frame and the frame was the expensive bit.:rolleyes:

I've seen them served at posh hotel breakfast buffets so there is a market

I can just picture somebody eating it like corn on the cob...

Somebody put a pic on here a few weeks back with a frame on a counter and the honey dripping out into channels running to little bowls.

Do anyone sell complete frames of honey without extracting?
So I suppose a massive section, instead of cutting it up for comb honey...

If so, any tips?
If not, why not?

Frame, foundation and wax of comb together has bigger value that the honey in the comb. Bad business. Very unpleasant to the customer to use that stuff.

Saw some on sale at Bristol Honey Festival for £45!!

I make that £450 per super, not bad with no extraction or bottling to do.

:

Value is same as the whole hive with bees. Nonsense.

Super frames has 1.5 kg honey and kg price from rubbish is 30 pounds.

Scandalous that anybody should want to make that much profit..

Did have one person ask for a whole frame. Had already extracted. Told him that the frames contain wire .. but it does make me wonder about trying without foundation or just starter strips.

I am going to take a full frame of comb honey from starter strip to my next artisan market (i'v run out of cut comb boxes)thinking of asking £30 for it.Will report my (lack of) success here.
I have a shallow national frame display case for getting it down there,any ideas how to package it if it sells?

I have actually found and purchased 5 boxes with wooden supports as mentioned by someone earlier.
Would be good to how people get on selling frames.
I'll be taking off my last supers next weekend. I'll then see how cooperative the ladies have been capping the frames.
Thanks for the replies so far...

I sell it by the frame the odd time, usually all local people so just take it to there house and cut it onto a tray for them.

Darren

I've bartered whole frames with friends so there is demand for it. I also like to serve a whole one on a big dish (having cut it out of the frame) - it's a great way to enjoy honey.

Scroll down to the last images at this link.

http://www.thelondonhoneycompany.co.uk/category/honey

If an average yield = 40lb = 12/13 full frames, by a few leaps of Del Boy-esque logic, I think I could run a mere 100 hives and be a successful commercial beekeeper with a modest salary.

Packaging is available - search for 'honey frame packaging'.

I bought one of those boxes with a view to copying it.
It has a strange blurb on it warning people about the wires in the frame.

A guy I work with wants to buy a full 14x12 frame from me. He doesn't want boxes of cut comb, he wants the full frame. The one I took out of the hive weighs over 8 pounds, how much should I charge.........50-60 quid??

I can just picture somebody eating it like corn on the cob...

Somebody put a pic on here a few weeks back with a frame on a counter and the honey dripping out into channels running to little bowls.

I saw my first full Langstroth medium frame on a display rack at a US County Fair last month. Most impressive. So much bigger than a national but those tiny lugs would be a nightmare.

Latest posts

Back