Bee sting desensitisation course

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And a PS -- for the back pain, I'd be very wary about taking any type of NSAID (like Nurofen/Ibuprofen or Diclofenac) without clearing it -very specifically- with the clinic.
Paracetamol shouldn't interact with the venom, but NSAIDs are reputed to (for some people at least).

nope just co dydramol and tramadol for pain relief.

Very interesting thread. In the summer I was finding it hard to decide if the reaction I have to stings is normal. I have not had any faintness or breathing problems but quite a lot of swelling. For example a sting near the knuckle meant 3 or 4 days when I could not play the keyboard. Nor could I touch my index finger to my thumb.

I am trying to remember now whether I took ibuprofen. Is that to be avoided then? Could it have made me worse? Other stings I have had were not so bad, perhaps I got less venom or they were in a place with more flesh where it was easier to swell up. Or perhaps I did not take ibuprofen.

It would help if I could see a pic of a normal reaction (not someone who has built up immunity as there would be nothing to see).

Very interesting thread. In the summer I was finding it hard to decide if the reaction I have to stings is normal. I have not had any faintness or breathing problems but quite a lot of swelling. For example a sting near the knuckle meant 3 or 4 days when I could not play the keyboard. Nor could I touch my index finger to my thumb.

I am trying to remember now whether I took ibuprofen. Is that to be avoided then? Could it have made me worse? Other stings I have had were not so bad, perhaps I got less venom or they were in a place with more flesh where it was easier to swell up. Or perhaps I did not take ibuprofen.

It would help if I could see a pic of a normal reaction (not someone who has built up immunity as there would be nothing to see).

Busybee
When I started beekeeping in 2010, 2 or more stings to the back of the hand meant it swelled up and was stiff for 2-3 days following so your " For example a sting near the knuckle meant 3 or 4 days when I could not play the keyboard. Nor could I touch my index finger to my thumb" appears quite normal.

Now after some 160 or so stings later I have developed some limited immunity and multiple stings to the hands have little impact but then the maximum I have had at any one time is only eleven.

I don't take any pain killers after stings and you would be far better taking one of the many proprietary ant sting/histamine creams and applying them to the affected area.. Or taking an anti histamine pill before you start beekeeping... (assuming you are not in the list of groups who should not)

I keep Boots anti sting cream in my beejacket for emergencies... removes the sting smell so less likely to be stung again...but then when you get multiple stings all at once....

There's a bit of background (and a few digressions) in this thread
http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11116
ADDED LATER - Google should turn up plenty of research papers for you if you want more info.

"Desensitisation therapy" is about preventing people conking out when they are stung. Needing hospital treatment to save life, etc.

The big distinction is between 'local' reaction (swelling, itching, etc -- NEAR the sting) and 'systemic' reaction (heart palpitations, difficulty breathing, odd taste sensations, dizziness -- nothing to do with the site of the sting).

Localised swelling is perfectly normal.
The extent depends on lots of things. The age of the bee (youngsters barely have any venom), how quickly or well you were able to scratch it out, whereabout on the body you were stung ... and probably if you have had any Ibuprofen in the last month or so (and other medications also interact).

Desensitisation therapy (and this thread! :)) is principally about people with systemic reactions (and just maybe extremely severe (hospitalisation) local reaction).

Last edited:
For example a sting near the knuckle meant 3 or 4 days when I could not play the keyboard. Nor could I touch my index finger to my thumb.

Stings to the fingers tend to seem to swell more than one to, say, a fleshy part of the thigh. It's a good idea to either take off rings before handling bees, or get them resized so they can be easily removed from a swollen finger.

Update today, had a bad nite due to the pain in my back (and still hurts even with strong pain relief). Also woke up in the nite with hot flushes and noticed that i have now got what i would say is a normal sized sting on the back of my arm, strangely its about 3inches from where i thought i was injected, classic sting reaction of localised itching but the great thing is the swelling is very localised unlike when i am normally stung.

I will be chatting to the doc before the next injection to see if she thinks the injection was a bit stronger that might have been better.

Thanks for starting this thread dpearce4 and good luck for the rest of your course.

and thanks for the info everyone. The link has made me think I must leave off the painkiller and be brave. Will def stock up on anti histamine for spring. (and perhaps vodka purely on medicinal grounds)

dp

Bloody hell, this is looking a bit fraught! I hope you're keeping a detailed diary of these symptoms to take to your next session - this seems more like going "cold turkey" than gradual desensitisation.

dp

Bloody hell, this is looking a bit fraught! I hope you're keeping a detailed diary of these symptoms to take to your next session - this seems more like going "cold turkey" than gradual desensitisation.

I really think that you need to inform them well BEFORE the next session, so that they have a chance to discuss the case, and reconsider the doses they are giving you.
Simply turning up with your report next time may not allow for adequate consultation and "referring up".

But certainly, keeping a "symptom diary" (and taking it along) is good advice.

I don't think its meant to be anything like this tough.

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask these questions, but here goes. I'm planning to start beekeeping this year, but one thing that I've not been able to get out of my mind is my history of allergies (hay fever, cats, dust, etc.), up to the point where I had a mild (relatively speaking) anaphylactic reaction to cats once. I've been worried that I may also be allergic to bees. In light of my history of other allergies, is this likely, or an unfounded worry?

On the topic of getting tested or treated, can someone confirm for me you can definitely get both on the NHS for bee sting allergies on the basis of being a beekeeper?

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask these questions, but here goes. I'm planning to start beekeeping this year, but one thing that I've not been able to get out of my mind is my history of allergies (hay fever, cats, dust, etc.), up to the point where I had a mild (relatively speaking) anaphylactic reaction to cats once. I've been worried that I may also be allergic to bees. In light of my history of other allergies, is this likely, or an unfounded worry?

On the topic of getting tested or treated, can someone confirm for me you can definitely get both on the NHS for bee sting allergies on the basis of being a beekeeper?

Probably a daft question, but have you ever been stung by a bee, Ben?

Ben, find a local beek, stick your hand in his hive and if you end up looking like the stay puffed marshmallow man, then beekeepings probably not for you....lol

Seriously though, I believe there are skin tests that you can do and also something called a radioallergosorbent test (RAST), although i believe the skin test is the preferred method.

I'm only in my 1st year but maybe some of the more experienced beeks on here will be able to point you in the right direction.

Check out this link http://www.allergy-clinic.co.uk/more-about-allergy/wasp-allergy/

Last edited:
Probably a daft question, but have you ever been stung by a bee, Ben?

I've been stung by a wasp and (I think) a bumblebee before, but never a honeybee. I didn't have an allergic reaction to either. But I'm not sure that translates to honeybee stings.

Only one way to find out , cut along to local association apiary 'Ormskirk branch in my case , you'll so find out :D
VM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back