Housing Associations

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmcc

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
None, although I have my eye on one ( Just don't tell Dusty ;) )
Does anyone have any experience of housing associations allowing people to keep bees? I'm having second thoughts about school, but need bees in my life :)

housing associations tend to be more stricter, being private companies and nothing to do with the council check before you leap

Will do tomorrow. The housing officer was out of office today, I didn't leave a message, thought I'd hit her with it straight lol. I don't hold out much hope, but you never know. Just wondered if anyone had any experience of them.

I use to work with them when they taken over council property, they have strict regulations on pets etc. I would take them to a hive first then suggest having one at home, and in the event of complaints would remove on request of said association.

I think you need to be looking for an out apiary somewhere.
Maybe somebody in your BKA might be offering the bottom of a large garden or an orchard.
Is there any chance your local free cycle might let you advertise, and there's always the newsagents window and maybe Hugh FW's Landshare, you might get lucky?

I personally wouldn't ask, they certainly cant be looked on as pets, I have a very moaney neighbour, we are both council, he even complain on the colour we painted the garage ???? (terracotta) but, I've had two bee hives (upto 5 ) and in 3yrs, 0 complaints

if they are there, and the association turn up, you can show/explain how they are, put in about the decline of bees, mention you'll be going to the local rag if you are made to remove them etc

its all to easy for officials to say NO, to anything they don't understand, and with a no answer you can never try,

I think it very much depends on the Housing Association, the housing officer for your scheme/house, and of course, if the location you have in mind is suitable. If you think it is suitable, go for it, no harm in asking.

They very often manage land aswell, ask if they have any suitable. Whilst you're at it check their web site to see what their pollinator policy is. We, Gwent BKA, are currently in talks with a number of our local authorities regards them proving land for apiaries and have been asked by one local HA to train interested employees beekeeping at their HQ.
I'll pm you some info if that's okay, just food for thought when you approach them;)

I'd check with your neighbours ... with lots of encouragements and words about the plight of the bees (sic) people tend to be quite receptive ... but ... don't tell them and you risk a backlash and every midge bite will be attributed to your bees. With your neighbours on side you have much more power to your elbow with the Housing Association.

mine say no,as it may affect the neighbor's,yet one side shoot's a air pistol 3ft from my garden .with no protection at all, i can not have pond either.but i can have dog. cat. hen's .if i want...

If you don't ask, they can't say "No".

Unless there is something in your tenancy agreement explicitly banning bees, then you can ignore anything about pets, horses, fowl, sheep, etc.

Might be a better plan ?
When I was looking for sites, I placed an ad in one of the Free mags asking if anyone would like to host a few hives on their land and was inundated with offers.
S

mine say no,as it may affect the neighbor's,yet one side shoot's a air pistol 3ft from my garden .with no protection at all, i can not have pond either.but i can have dog. cat. hen's .if i want...

Put your hive inside a large dog kennel which has a lift-off roof.:winner1st:

Haha thanks everyone. Sorry I haven't replied sooner. My son broke his hand, and of course it isn't a straight forward break, so I've been busy with that. I haven't had 5 mins to ring today. Lots to mull over though. There is an old church locally that is now used as a respite home. I could ask there. They already have a feral colony in the spire lol, so you never know ;)

I will let you all know what I decide. Thank you everyone :) Fear not though. I WILL have bees in my life, no matter what I decide :)

Latest posts

Back