flavouring mead

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rje66

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Made a gallon batch last month from ivy honey, I'm guessing it wont taste great, so is there any nice flavours people put into their meads???
Also when to add, now or next year???
Ta

once you add flavours, you can no longer call it mead,

I add rasberries... usually portents a second fermentation.

HM you really are a Sacchenach..... adding anything to whiskey!

Yeghes da

Mead/Melomel/Methoglin ....whatever.
Elderflower is a good flavouring. I find it a little overpowering if you are using a light floral honey but with ivy honey it might just be the thing.Will be in bloom soon too.
Bear in mind that aficionados of ivy honey say the taste mellows after a while and loses its pong!
I'd second Rasperry as a wonderful melomel.
Cherry might be a good one too, add a few crushed stones for that almond (cyanide) tang ;)

Thanks for replies,
So for whiskey , how much to add to a gallon batch?
And for the fruits would I boil to a pulp and add or just drop into DJ. (add a campden tablet as well)?
Similar for elder flowers??
:thanks:

If you have already made your mead and are simply looking for flavouring I would make a syrup with the fruit/flowers add to the mead and re-ferment?
Would that work?
If starting from scratch I would make a juice or infusion and add it to the mead as part of the water you are using. That's what I did.

Another super summertime drink is to add a couple of lemons to the ivy mead.. either during or after fermentation.

Undiluted virtually undrinkable... but added to cold soda water a fantastic brew.

Yeghes da

I made this back in February . First proper stab at mead . Smells great whilst fermenting ;) just needs lots of time .

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1433101194117.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1433101194117.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 35
I made this back in February . First proper stab at mead . Smells great whilst fermenting ;) just needs lots of time .

How do I get the attachment to a size I can read? When I enlarge it it goes all blurry :hairpull:

Sorry . Im a newb and when i posted it it looked all blurry .

Sorry chaps its not working . There was me thinking these things are easy .

bc02ca2072cf02e68023b69dd517d9a3.jpg

Ah ha it works . I racked this last night . Tastes of sweet cough candys and the old cheeks warmed quickly . Should mellow nicely over the next year or so .

Latest posts

Back