The lady Killers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beehive1234

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Match box
Lady Killers tonight on BBC2 is a programme about ladies that pest control. This evenings programme includes removing bees. Are bees classed as pests?

no, they are not on the pest list, but us pest controllers normally remove them free of charge

it was fascinating watching it and I thought they gave people some very useful basic information about bees.

the second colony was huge looked like it had been there many years.

Interesting programme. That is what happens if rats are not controlled, I would not have wanted potatoes from that farm, or used animal feed produced from grain of that farm.

The cut out I thought was well illustrated, will help when I have to do one.

I had not thought of laying down the wild comb to cut it to the right size for the frame. Good to see people who know what they are doing.

They did a brilliant job. Chaps called Steve and Dave, presumably from Guildford, because that's where one colony ended up.

The programme is online http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05pxx9g/the-ladykillers-pest-detectives-episode-2 Bees from about 39 -> 46 minutes and again at about 54 minutes.

Yes, the small nuc was shown on top of a shopping mall in Guildford!, I would have loved to see how large the larger colony was they put in the national!

It looked large....

Are they forum members? If so own up so we can praise you.

Presents the participants quite well, exceptionally well for a "reality" show, a label I'd normally avoid

The only puzzle I was left with is that they appear to be commercial companies, presumably charging but no money seems to change hands. They have a lot of time for research and follow up visits. We don't expect everything to be up front in telly land, but a bit of background to how they actually get paid would fill some gaps.

I accidently stumbled on the program whilst flicking through channels and probably one of the better beekeeping programs I have seen

Thanks for the link, Saw Episode 1, missed 2. Very good...

Presents the participants quite well, exceptionally well for a "reality" show, a label I'd normally avoid

The only puzzle I was left with is that they appear to be commercial companies, presumably charging but no money seems to change hands. They have a lot of time for research and follow up visits. We don't expect everything to be up front in telly land, but a bit of background to how they actually get paid would fill some gaps.

I wondered about that as well.

I can't see the money being enough to do what they did had the tv not been there.

E.g, spending a few hours talking to all the neighbours and tracking down the source of a rat infestation to a house several doors away.

E.g. 3 people on night shift with air rifles shooting pigeons. I think she said they got 12 and it was successful!

Eg. 4 visits to a house with a moth infestation.

Very interesting though. I want to be one. Although not a lady one.

Yes, the small nuc was shown on top of a shopping mall in Guildford!, I would have loved to see how large the larger colony was they put in the national!

It looked large....

Sorry we are in the UK please call it correctly its a shopping centre not shopping mall that is the US term for it.

Latest posts

Back