• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Absolutely no replies!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremyfro

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Beehaus
Number of Hives
Possibly...5 and a bit...depends on the bees.
Not a single reply....to my appeal for a Dartington/long hive/beehaus. And that is after reading through all the condemnation by so many people for these hives...there must be loads out there not in use...abandoned....just waiting to be transported to my bee yard. Anyone want to part with theirs? A good home is guaranteed.

Not a single reply....to my appeal for a Dartington/long hive/beehaus. And that is after reading through all the condemnation by so many people for these hives...there must be loads out there not in use...abandoned....just waiting to be transported to my bee yard. Anyone want to part with theirs? A good home is guaranteed.

I think there's a secret dartington society somewhere that you can join.... they all keep their bees in dartingtons but don't admit publicly ... beekeeping's best kept secret ! :icon_204-2: And NO - you can't have mine ....

Sorry i read what people said here and never bought one so i don't have one i want rid of.

I think there's a secret dartington society somewhere that you can join.... they all keep their bees in dartingtons but don't admit publicly ... beekeeping's best kept secret ! :icon_204-2: And NO - you can't have mine ....

C'mon.....you have played with it for ages...must be my turn by now?
I think their are loads out there but no- one wants to admit to having one...tee hee

i know of two nolonger used in london, or is that too far

It might not be too far as my son lives in London and comes down here to visit. So there is a possibility. If you can get information about them...could you pm me? Thank you. I thought it would be easy to get something as people didn't seem to rate them and thought they must be mouldering away at the back of apiaries everywhere!!!!
Ta

C'mon.....you have played with it for ages...must be my turn by now?
I think their are loads out there but no- one wants to admit to having one...tee hee

In the meantime ... I've been thinking about a slightly different hive for awhile now ..

The Zest Hive was what started me off thinking ...

http://thezesthive.com/

But I reckon that you could make a 'Dartington' using lightweight insulation blocks

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Aerated-Block-3-6-N-100mm/p/213632

So ... the lighweight blocks are 440mm long x 215mm high.

A standard national frame is 356mm wide in the frame part plus say 14mm in total to give you bee space at either side = 370mm. And, guess what, a standard national frame is 215mm high including the thickness of the lugs so sitting them on top of the blocks would give you bottom bee space. You would need to cut the end blocks down from 440mm to 370mm length but that's the only two cuts to make.

These lightweight blocks are easy to cut with an old saw if needs be.

Therefore you could make the walls of a Long Deep Hive - 3 blocks long and one (cut down) block wide for the princely sum of 8 x £1.79. (I'll do the maths - £14.32).

The blocks are 100mm wide and so they would sit on a simple frame made out of old fence posts. Or new ones if you don't have any lying around (having just replaced 6 with concrete posts I have some ...)

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Timber-Fence-Post-100mmx100mmx2-7m/p/548025

With a mesh floor held in place between the timber posts and the lightweight blocks.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-VARROA...782?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a3db07c5e

It would need a crown board and a roof of some sort with insulation in it - perhaps pallet timber for the roof.

But, I reckon you could have 'Dartington style Zest type' Hive in place that would have the internal dimensions 370mm wide x 215mm deep x 1120mm long for the following costs:

Blocks £14.32
Mesh floor £10.99
Post £12.79

I've assumed the other bits will be scavenged. Need a bit of paint for the outside and perhaps a batten to go round the blocks at the top to keep the frames in place but let's say a tenner for the odds and sods.

Less than £50 for a hive that will take 30 standard national frames, highly insulated and with all the benefits of a Long Deep Hive ... Clearly it's not going to be a hive that can be moved but long hives are not really intended for mobility.

In the meantime ... I've been thinking about a slightly different hive for awhile now ..

The Zest Hive was what started me off thinking ...

http://thezesthive.com/

But I reckon that you could make a 'Dartington' using lightweight insulation blocks

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Aerated-Block-3-6-N-100mm/p/213632

So ... the lighweight blocks are 440mm long x 215mm high.

A standard national frame is 356mm wide in the frame part plus say 14mm in total to give you bee space at either side = 370mm. And, guess what, a standard national frame is 215mm high including the thickness of the lugs so sitting them on top of the blocks would give you bottom bee space. You would need to cut the end blocks down from 440mm to 370mm length but that's the only two cuts to make.

These lightweight blocks are easy to cut with an old saw if needs be.

Therefore you could make the walls of a Long Deep Hive - 3 blocks long and one (cut down) block wide for the princely sum of 8 x £1.79. (I'll do the maths - £14.32).

The blocks are 100mm wide and so they would sit on a simple frame made out of old fence posts. Or new ones if you don't have any lying around (having just replaced 6 with concrete posts I have some ...)

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Timber-Fence-Post-100mmx100mmx2-7m/p/548025

With a mesh floor held in place between the timber posts and the lightweight blocks.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-VARROA...782?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a3db07c5e

It would need a crown board and a roof of some sort with insulation in it - perhaps pallet timber for the roof.

But, I reckon you could have 'Dartington style Zest type' Hive in place that would have the internal dimensions 370mm wide x 215mm deep x 1120mm long for the following costs:

Blocks £14.32
Mesh floor £10.99
Post £12.79

I've assumed the other bits will be scavenged. Need a bit of paint for the outside and perhaps a batten to go round the blocks at the top to keep the frames in place but let's say a tenner for the odds and sods.

Less than £50 for a hive that will take 30 standard national frames, highly insulated and with all the benefits of a Long Deep Hive ... Clearly it's not going to be a hive that can be moved but long hives are not really intended for mobility.

Right...got that. I have read about them...a few weeks ago actually. I have got a few pallets which I could break up...saved from deliveries. The wood would be ok for making a roof. I could get some more clear Perspex for crown boards. I have some insulation which could be used in a roof. As you say....it won't be moveable but who would want to. I really think it could be interesting in my new Bee Yard. Atm it is only sketched on a piece of envelope but as soon as we move the chicken houses....we can organise the area. We have some flagstones ...which were left by the previous owners of the house and I have earmarked some for paving under the hives. Are you going to build one?

How about these, all looking for a good home

dartington solid and dry without a disivion board, no half supers
hedgecoe (blue)
double hedgcoe (

all looking for a home (subject to a small donation to my association) or the fire

i also know of two other dartington awaiting the fire

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 60
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 50
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 53
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
And another awaiting a friend to look after it, this one is full of wax moth but has it's half supers and two that have been empty for at least five years but dont think for sale

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    874.1 KB · Views: 36
  • photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:
this one was for sale with bees but the bees now have nosema, so dont know whether they will be rehoused and the dartington disposed of or what

I was suprising how many i had around me if i looked hard, all that work to make them from plans they after a few years just abandon them

Attachments

• photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    646.9 KB · Views: 30

Latest posts

Back