Module 6

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TOUGH , i have said no....bees are now my job and i enjoy it, i dont know whether i will get to NDB level but i will have a good try becasue it is nice to stretch the mind at 65 with something that is a hobby rather than work

Quite so. And the NDB is still a rare species.

Lorenz & MM & others - well done on results.

We're getting there!

Passed both thanks Caroline which means i get to put my feet up until Nov as i've done Mod 1 & 2!

Laura
Ahh, there's lots of training to be done til then... Newbees, basic candidates, workshops etc - don't put your feet up yet - your Education Officer needs you!

Laura
Ahh, there's lots of training to be done til then... Newbees, basic candidates, workshops etc - don't put your feet up yet - your Education Officer needs you!

Careful Laura ;) ....says me, writing two new novice disease sessions atm instead of starting 6. My grade in 3 was deemed good enough not to bother the RBI. Sigh. No time off to play in the snow :(. And well done :)

I am back to studying. For Module 6 this time. Yesterday I learned that a bee only has enough fuel to fly 800km and that after this she falls to the ground because as an adult she has no way of topping up her reserves of glycogen and fat that she uses as fuel to power her wings. Cool I thought.

I am back to studying. For Module 6 this time. Yesterday I learned that a bee only has enough fuel to fly 800km and that after this she falls to the ground because as an adult she has no way of topping up her reserves of glycogen and fat that she uses as fuel to power her wings. Cool I thought.

When I read that last October i thought about how winter bees make heat over the winter and compare the energy out put necessary to keep the cluster warm vs flying in summer. Lack of vitigellenin may have something to do with this other chemical's depletion or is it lack of regeneration?

If there's a glycogen path that allows it to be regenerated, then it must be mediated by something that old bees don't have but young and winter bees do. Kinda makes vitigellinin a candidate of sorts!

Looking at papers that have cited the 1982 paper then it there is still not a agreement as to what it is caused by. Lipids protein glycogen and vitigellen are all assumed to cause the shortening then discredit by others

Now my problem is i should just accept the book and not get too involved and confuse my self :hairpull:

Last edited:

Have you a reference for that?

BUT , in my badly written reply to polyanwood (it was too many Gin &Tonic) to the first statement on glycogen

The later paper of 2007 differ and suggest vitellogenin has something to do with it rather than the 1982 glycogen effect

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2398712/

The high number of bees that died before being observed as foragers and the analysis of the
experience-specific mortality of foragers (Fig. 4) point to a high mortality rate at the transition
from hive bee to of foraging, irrespective of age and foraging environment. The mortality peak
at the onset of foraging occurred in all experimental groups demonstrating that a protected cage
environment does not prevent the death of early, inexperienced foragers. Wear-and- tear or
forager exhaustion (Neukirch, 1982) cannot account for the early mortality of foragers.
Regulatory events at the onset of foraging, such as the decrease in vitellogenin (Amdam and
Omholt, 2002) are more consistent with the observed patterns of foraging mortality. Downregulation
of vitellogenin, which limits the foragers’ resistance to pathogens (Amdam et al.,
2005,2007) and oxidative stress (Seehuus et al., 2006) could explain in the observed ageindependent
mortality peak at the onset of foraging.

I really enjoyed module 6 as it needs a lot of reseach as the book list is so out of date, i even thought about deferring the exam to get deeper into the subject...but i passed anyway

Last edited:
I do find it a bit irksome that if you write anything "modern" in the exam you are supposed to reference it - for an A-level equivalent exam that seems a bit out of kilter.

Surprised you're not flogging your notes MM - the Bucks ones seem to fall a bit short.

Thanks MM.
Although Poly never answered I assumed it was Winston (P.101) who in turn cites Neukirch, 1982.

Celia Davis also discusses vitellogenin briefly in her Inside Out book. (2nd ed, 2011)

I do find it a bit irksome that if you write anything "modern" in the exam you are supposed to reference it - for an A-level equivalent exam that seems a bit out of kilter.

Surprised you're not flogging your notes MM - the Bucks ones seem to fall a bit short.

Apart the fact that you'd never read my writing, i do diagrammatic notes based on cluster of facts and doodles ( Dyslexic) and i have given them to another beekeeper who thinks they are no use to her

but if anyone has any question they can answer, i might have found a research article to support answers as i have a British library reading room ticket

Beware of Yates on 6.20 The effects of pathogens and pest on bee behavour, i think most of his views miss the point of the question

if you take something like sac brood, yates says "Affects brood" Yes "Affects adult bee": not applicable but in other modules he actual gives the effects on adut bees infected with sac brood but not dying in larva stage...so my view is the correct table in his book should be Larva: mainly causes death Adult, sHORTEN ADULT LIFE SPAN, PROMOTED EARLY TO FORAGE ONLY FOR NECTOR NOT POLLEN, STOPS FEEDING LARVA....other entries are equally poor in the table...but that only my veiws

Last edited:
Beware of Yates on 6.20 The effects of pathogens and pest on bee behavour, i think most of his views miss the point of the question

I agree. He seems a bit light on 6.21 as well (learning behaviour). Any further references for this?

I agree. He seems a bit light on 6.21 as well (learning behaviour). Any further references for this?

chapter 4 of The buzz about Bees Jurgen Tautz is worth reading and gould The honey Bee on location and sun ( moving hives north to south of the equator overnight),

other wise landmark location and what happens when you move a hive 6ft..bee go to original site then circular search until fanning plume found, gould on sources of food moved etc rather than frisch...

older book s like frisch, butler and J free worth reading if you have time but contradict each other as views change...painted beehives etc...winston The biology of the honeybee has bit in there on Dances that they have asked question on that i have found nowhere else

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF00605469?LI=true#

http://130.133.47.165/menzel/Pub_AGmenzel/Menzel,Müller_1996_AnnRevNeurosci.pdf

http://psych.mcmaster.ca/dukas/Dukas & Visscher 94.pdf

http://ftp.neurobiologie.fu-berlin....zel,Erber_Scientific American_1978_100dpi.pdf

Last edited:
Many thanks.
I owe you coffee and cakes at the NHS for that.

Latest posts

Back