Feeding Birds

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goldfinch lock on to my niger feeder and refuse to let go. They won't give way to other birds and don't bother about me standing a few yards away watching them. Breakfast is breakfast and not to be interfered with

Strange how they behave differently in different areas. We've given up on niger seed because nothing would eat it, so it either went mouldy or started to sprout. We get a lot of goldfinches in the garden, they prefer sunflower seed.

Lots of Goldfinches on the sunflower seeds here too. We had many Siskins last year but this year only the odd one or two.
This was taken on an old mobile phone in Cumbria a few years ago.
Mummy Goldcrest feeding her fledglings

Attachments

• DSC_0053.jpg
    DSC_0053.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 26
What a great pic of the young being fed.
No siskins this year...but goldfinches feeding on everything, not just niger..

Lots of Goldfinches on the sunflower seeds here too. We had many Siskins last year but this year only the odd one or two.
This was taken on an old mobile phone in Cumbria a few years ago.
Mummy Goldcrest feeding her fledglings

That's just beautiful. :)
Goldcrests are a regular feature in our garden, a little gang of Long Tailed Tits took in the fat balls today.

Thankyou :)
It was a crummy old mobile and a snatch shot.
The image is clear in my mind's eye though. Sat and watched them in a tree by the River Kent for about ten minutes before they hopped out of sight.
Lovely listening to long tailed tits trooping through the trees

Attachments

• Goldcrests.JPG
    Goldcrests.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
Beautiful picture. You were so lucky to see them. :)

Have fat balls, mixed grains and peanuts. Have seen blue tits, wag tails, robins and sparrows so far. Going to put some horse hair out for them as well.
The robin and sparrows also hang around my omlet chicken pen, sharing the grain with the chickens. One robin panicked the other morning when I let the chickens out and got wedged between two of the bars. Went and gently pushed him/ her out. Said robin then sat on the fence shouting at me.

We have had a greater spotted woodpecker on our fat balls for the first time this year.

IIRC it's the green ones that attack brood boxes. At least that's my hope :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonderful, aren't they.......and yes it's the green ones that tap the beehives to see if the bees are alive ;)

Attachments

• DSC_0014.jpg
    DSC_0014.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 2
We have had a greater spotted woodpecker on our fat balls for the first time this year.

IIRC it's the green ones that attack brood boxes. At least that's my hope :)
Haven't seen the pied woodpecker this year - usually a regular visitor to the fatballs (jackdaws must be keeping them away - note to self and my mate Beeser to sort that out :D) had a green woodpecker on the lawn a few years ago with her brood of newly fledged youngsters picking leatherjackets off the 'lawn'

Beautiful picture. You were so lucky to see them. :)

:iagree:

I've got a few photos of some great tits if you want to see them :spy:

Haven't seen the pied woodpecker this year - usually a regular visitor to the fatballs (jackdaws must be keeping them away - note to self and my mate Beeser to sort that out :D)

Jackdaws wont keep the woodpecker away, they aren't put off easily once they know there is food, & even if they do they wont be there all day so the woodpecker & all get their chance. No need to "sort them out" they all need food you don't just pick the brightly coloured ones to feed.

Oh do shut up - jackdaws are a plague around here - ripping all the bins open causing mayhem - chasing all the other birds away from the food (that's little brown jobs as well a the 'colourful' ones whatever they are) they also play havoc with the local grouse population which needs all the help it can get as the national parks don't seem to care that their habitat is disappearing.
There's been an exponential rise the last ten years or so, people used to take out the odd one during shooting forays and keep the population at a reasonable level. not much shooting goes on in the valley now - availability of cars and the demise of the old fashioned proper rough shooter a lot to do with it plus the fact a lot of the holdings around here just have horses.
Woodpecker's moved to a more condusive feeding area - still hear him in the woods behind me but prefers to feed at my neighbour's feeding station nearer the road which the jackdaws seem to avoid

Oh do shut up - jackdaws are a plague around here - ripping all the bins open causing mayhem - chasing all the other birds away from the food (that's little brown jobs as well a the 'colourful' ones whatever they are) they also play havoc with the local grouse population which needs all the help it can get as the national parks don't seem to care that their habitat is disappearing.
There's been an exponential rise the last ten years or so, people used to take out the odd one during shooting forays and keep the population at a reasonable level. not much shooting goes on in the valley now - availability of cars and the demise of the old fashioned proper rough shooter a lot to do with it plus the fact a lot of the holdings around here just have horses.
Woodpecker's moved to a more condusive feeding area - still hear him in the woods behind me but prefers to feed at my neighbour's feeding station nearer the road which the jackdaws seem to avoid

Lol, your blaming jackdaws for the fact people leave bin bags lying about? Why not target the council to clean them up sooner? We get jackdaws & woodpeckers & everything else, whats more i can work in the garden & the birds still feed, probably as they dont feel threatened. If your woodpecker isnt visiting your garden its nothing to do with jackdaws its probably something else.

Latest posts

Back