A slobbering Tractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeT

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a small 20hp Yanmar diesel tractor which I use most days to feed the cattle. It has started to slobber. I believe its has started to do this as it never gets hot because it is used for only short periods and at light work. I did use it for 3 hrs a couple of weeks ago to knock 30 posts in with the post rammer. Again it was only running at 1200rpm (if I have any more revs on the 100lb weight goes to the top of the bean so fast the rope jumps the pulleys).

I suspect the bores may have become glazed. I am reluctant to do major repairs to the engine because it starts first time every time, runs extremely well, does not smoke except on startup.

I do not have much hard work for the tractor except when topping the paddocks in June. In the next few weeks it will be used for chain harrowing, spraying and fertiliser spreading, again all relatively light work.

Has anyone else experienced slobbering in their tractors and any advise as to how to reduce the problem

This is the tractor with the post knocker, best bit of equipment I have bought saves so much time and effort!!

Attachments

• IMG_1716.jpg
    IMG_1716.jpg
    409.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Clean the injectors and fuel filters, check for water in the fuel.

My Kuboto Digger had the habit of slobbering... above was the cause...

Yeghes da

I have a small 20hp Yanmar diesel tractor which I use most days to feed the cattle. It has started to slobber. I believe its has started to do this as it never gets hot because it is used for only short periods and at light work. I did use it for 3 hrs a couple of weeks ago to knock 30 posts in with the post rammer. Again it was only running at 1200rpm (if I have any more revs on the 100lb weight goes to the top of the bean so fast the rope jumps the pulleys).

I suspect the bores may have become glazed. I am reluctant to do major repairs to the engine because it starts first time every time, runs extremely well, does not smoke except on startup.

I do not have much hard work for the tractor except when topping the paddocks in June. In the next few weeks it will be used for chain harrowing, spraying and fertiliser spreading, again all relatively light work.

Has anyone else experienced slobbering in their tractors and any advise as to how to reduce the problem

This is the tractor with the post knocker, best bit of equipment I have bought saves so much time and effort!!

Not a tractor owner, but would products like Redex or Wynns be any good to burn off deposits?

You get carbon build up in diesels which never warm up and rev much. And water condensation.

See Icanhopit's solution.

And leave it to run for an hour on a warm day.

Air filter I would go for first, If the fuel tank is filled via containers then I would check for fuel starvation. If all ok then change the engine oil and filter, add some injector magic and run for a couple of hours @ half throttle. Another thing to check is that she is getting max throttle. If she has a manual stop cable make sure that it is returning all the way on the pump, the lever should hit a stop.

Air filter I would go for first, If the fuel tank is filled via containers then I would check for fuel starvation. If all ok then change the engine oil and filter, add some injector magic and run for a couple of hours @ half throttle. Another thing to check is that she is getting max throttle. If she has a manual stop cable make sure that it is returning all the way on the pump, the lever should hit a stop.

Thanks for the replies. Changed oil and filter 50 hrs ago, Air filter cleaned 50 hrs ago. Fuel filter looks OK and no water in the glass bowl. Tractor will rev freely to the design limit of 2600rpm and will travel in top gear at max revs.

When I last changed the oil I used a can of Wynns oil additive and a 1/2 can of Redex in the fuel.

The slobber is mainly carbon but does not smell of oil or diesel. I think REDWOOD may be right, the injectors may need cleaning. I am hoping its not rings or valve stem seals, as I do not want to remove the head while its going so well and have good oil pressure even when it is hot.

Mike

Just out of curiosity - what are the symptoms of a "slobbering" tractor??? ta

If I was you I would try and take a look in head sounds like your oil could be turning into like salad cream texture happens a lot in engines that ant run for long periods of time and get warmed throw had a lot of this problems in cars working with my dad as a kid

Used the tractor for 3 hrs today chain harrowing. It slobbered for about an hour then it improved. I ran it in a lower gear than normal at high revs. There is one other consideration, these little Japanese diesel engines do not have a thermostat, they are designed for SE Asia conditions where the Temp is always hot. I think while I am using it in cold conditions I will blank off part of the rad and see if that gives any improvements.

Around here I've fond that it's the person that drives the tractor has atendency to slobber.
But then that's the outcome of generations of sharing a bed with your sister!

Around here I've fond that it's the person that drives the tractor has atendency to slobber.
But then that's the outcome of generations of sharing a bed with your sister!

JBM you have been slow, I have been awaiting an amusing reply form you !!!:biggrinjester:

Temperature and work rate are the main factors. Typical problem of some diesels. Operator problem really; many old Cats were left ticking over (donkey starting being a pain in the posterior) and suffered regularly, because of it.

Work it hard at proper operating temperature and the slobbering will clear up. 80%+ engine loading, within rated speed range, is good for fuel economy for a diesel engine.

Glazed bores/rings would likely be causing blow-by and increased oil consumption. Slobbering will likely dilute the oil but has some lubrication properties - rather more than with kero burners turned over from petrol whilst too cool.

JBM you have been slow, I have been awaiting an amusing reply form you !!!:biggrinjester:

Genius takes time - but on the subject of countryside genetics, I'll say one thing - it makes researching the family tree a bit easier :D

80%+ engine loading, within rated speed range, is good for fuel economy for a diesel engine.
And longevity I'm led to believe. One of the big issues I have now being permanently 'on the beach' is being constantly told off by SWMBO for leaving lights/electrical equipment on when I leave a room - after years of being bawled at by the Chief Engineer to leave as much as possible on when alongside and 'idle' to increase load on the generators :D

rather more than with kero burners turned over from petrol whilst too cool.

Ah, I have great memories of our old David Brown cropmaster TVO tractor - being a 'two seater' I could ride comfortably on it - rather than balanced on the mudguard like with the other tractors (them were the days - before 'Elf an Safety made everything so dangerous) my cousin still has it, refurbished a few years ago, in his barn - it was the first tractor bought for the farm by his grandfather old Moses Junior back in 1947 or 48, my father learnt to drive on it, and when we had the smallholding was on permanent loan to him - ideal for negotiating the narrow pre combustion engine track down to the farm.

I hope you have no water issues as yanmar cylinder heads are prone to cracking and bloody expensive.

I hope you have no water issues as yanmar cylinder heads are prone to cracking and bloody expensive.

No water problems, she uses no water or oil, but I do change the oil every 75 hrs.

Used the tractor again yesterday and she ran well. I put a piece of card in front of the rad and she ran at the correct temp for nearly 3 hrs. She was warm and I was frozen.

Would a diesel additive like Millers have any beneficial effect, I wonder?

My three year old Citroen C3 Picasso was starting to sound like an old bread van despite a low mileage, but I've been using it since the new year and it runs and pulls better and the low end clank has gone.

I'm sold on it, even if it does sound like snake oil.But I did research it and a lot of people who were running low mileage, low speed (mostly urban) vehicles like me and old high mileage ones found it cleaned their engines up lovely – enough to drastically change levels of tests in the MOT.

Latest posts

Back