Conwy Honey Fair 2014

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterbees

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Saturday 13th September Conwy Honey Fair High Street, Conwy LL32 8DB. Huge variety of honey and hive products for sale from about 30 beekeepers, plus many other stalls: crafts, plants, home produce etc. 730-year old Royal Charter Fair founded by Edward 1st, in World Heritage town of Conwy.
Plus..Tour of Britain cycle race visits Conwy on Monday 8th September. Why not make a week of it!
See http://tinyurl.com/m4vyy2d

I shall be there, had a great time last year.
To ice the cake, we walked into The Albion on the night they were celebrating winning Camra Welsh Pub of the year and joined in the celebrations. Wonderful!

Thanks to everybody who supported yesterday's Conwy Honey Fair. We had a lovely day, with about 30 beekeepers selling honey and some 50 other stalls. Conwy was buzzing all day. We collected £900 towards Bees for Development from stallholders and visitors. Next year's Conwy Honey Fair is on Monday 14th September.

Shame you cant keep it on the weekend. you might find it much quieter due to being on a weekday, both visitors and also beekeepers being able to take part.

Sounds like quite an event. I was talking to a beekeeper the other week who described a honey day out in Wales where the road is closed and literally dozens of beekeepers pitch up to sell honey it must be this Conway Honey Fair he was talking about.

Shame you cant keep it on the weekend. you might find it much quieter due to being on a weekday, both visitors and also beekeepers being able to take part.

It is decreed in the Royal Charter that the event is held on 13th September. Any change would need an act of parliament.:sorry:

I was there and talked to quite a few other beekeepers. Although it was busy and we were blessed with a sunny day with lots of tourists we reckon we did less business than last year when the event fell on a weekday.
I had a lovely weekend though, a few marvellous pints in The Albion together with a sublime pork, egg and black pudding pie supplied by Edwards. We finished the days off with some posh nosh at the Castle Hotel. A splendid break!

See our website http://tinyurl.com/nwmgoat for information on the dates for the Honey Fair. I sold 240 x 454g jars, and it took all day. In some years I've sold that much and more by lunchtime. We had a record 30 honey sellers, and buyers had much more choice than usual.

... I sold 240 x 454g jars, and it took all day. In some years I've sold that much and more by lunchtime. We had a record 30 honey sellers, and buyers had much more choice than usual.
Sounds like a good result. Is there much price competition? Or any selling tips since you seem to have it sorted

I didn't sell anywhere near that but I wasn't selling Conwy honey and quite a few people wanted just that.

We recommended a minimum price of £6 per 454g jar of flower honey. Some sellers charged more. Undercutting nearly brought the Honey Fair to its knees in the 1980s. We put a stop to that in 1990 when we started organising the event. Everyone gets the same chance to sell if we have a fair uniform price. OK, you can call it a cartel but it's a fair way of working. One shop charged £5 but they just buy honey in and sell it on. They don't have long queues of buyers.

We recommended a minimum price of £6 per 454g jar of flower honey. Some sellers charged more...
Sounds a fair price. Compete on quality, packaging or speciality but start with a level playing field. Coincidentally, that's the price local associations around here charge for fairs, shows etc when more than one beekeeper is supplying. What you charge 1:1 is up to you but as I have to repeat, Tesco or Sainsbury charge 4.99 for 12 oz of any English honey, and that's blended from several places 200 miles away or more. The honey on the stall is all from within half an hours bee flight.

Latest posts

Back