sewage in stream

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First read of this thread but very interesting as a stream borders my garden with farmland 'tother side - mainly sheep fortunately. However, am very aware of the builders junk that get rolled down in a downpour and have little doubt there is other nasties from time to time. I keep trying to clean up the rubble problem and cart carloads up to the recycling tip but more rolls down. Loads of glass, broken china etc - nearly got a complete tea-set and a bike or two bit by bit. Found this 4-5 years ago buried so that only a corner showed - god knows how long it had been there - and so it goes on. My main concern though is that the local kids paddle in it, accessing it from the public footpath that borders my garden, and risk cuts from the masses of broken glass. I like seeing the kids do what I did some 70 years ago and strongly resent this fly tipping stuff - so I will keep at it. Pity is that I lifted out some forty or more bricks, roof tiles and other junk earlier this year, put it to one side until I could get round to barrowing it away and, bugger me, one of the kids who paddles more than any other had thrown the bloody lot back in the stream. Hopeless.
View attachment 11234

I think you still like playing in the stream... :)

Derek (me too)

I think you still like playing in the stream... :)

Derek (me too)

A few years ago I had a steel water tank to dispose of. Plonked it on the verge while I got the van round. It had gone by the time I returned :) possibly related the gypsy site a couple of miles down the road?

Are you allowed to spread slurry right up to the edge of a stream? The stream runs just the other side of the hedge. Just wondered because I am sure they said their should be a gap, but can't remember the distance.

Looks like a muck spreader to me, not a slurry tanker. Could be wrong. Do you know the difference?

Always seeking knowledge. That is why I asked. If you don't ask, you never know. If you don't make mistakes you never learn.

The DEFRA Code of practice states

YOU MUST NOT spread organic manures within:
• 10 metres of surface water, except on land managed for breeding wader birds or
as species-rich semi-natural grassland and under certain circumstances (see
paragraph below); or
• 50 metres of a spring, well or borehole.

Also the farmer is just within the time limit and the following must be adhered to

Before spreading organic manures, YOU MUST make an inspection of conditions in
the field to assess the risk of run-off to surface water, taking into account:
• the slope of the land, particularly if it is greater than 12 degrees (equivalent to
20%, or 1 in 5);
• ground cover;
• proximity to surface water;
• weather conditions;
• soil type and condition; and
• presence of land drains (other than a sealed impermeable pipe).
YOU MUST NOT spread organic manure if you identify there is a significant risk of
run-off getting into surface water

This is covered by the following web site http://www.swarmhub.co.uk/downloads/pdf/NVZs/leaflet8.pdf

Hope this clarifies the position

Mike

Very enlightening thank you Mike T.
I wouldn't have posted about the slurry spreading but I went down to my bottom field today and the Red Kite flew above my head. (I have put out several chicken dinners for her.) As I made my way up to get her a treat, somebody started firing a shot gun, very near.
I was worried she would be killed, I got back to the house and then took some poultry meat, up on the little hill, by my house, and there she was, right above me. As she hovered above me, someone was firing a shot gun, very close by. It scared her.
In the end she flew away. Usually she flies down to take the meat.

somebody started firing a shot gun, very near.
I was worried she would be killed,

Why? I do not know anybody (and believe you me I know some real hard nosed b*ggers who bear no misguided sentimenality towards birds of prey)would wish harm on these creatures. Remember the kite is the emblem of our county, and rightly so - when I was a nipper it was a real rare sighting (even up in the hills of Rhandirmwyn an further into the sticks) if one was seen during a family outing - screech of brakes and everybody piling out of cars for a look. Now that they're ten a penny (almost more common than buzzards around here)there is still a slowing down and a craning of necks.
My colleagues and I do our best to feed them a little treat - they are rather partial to fox!
It's the Christmas holiday - it's a tradition, especially around these parts for people to go out for a walk with the gun, even if it's only the once a year lot.
Know a party of a dozen (large family) beating the bounds of their ancestral farm today - doubtless a few shots will be fired, but certain there won't be any casualties (Unless cousin Ryan gets hung up on a barbed wire fence again!:eek:)

A couple of years ago I found a Marsh Harrier shot. A game keeper has been prosecuted in Norfolk for poisoning birds of prey.

We have the odd red kite but the buzzard is the most common seen most days. Have also had problems with Goshawks which took my guinea fowl, they were welcome to them - they were too noisy.

Today we had a couple of lads hawking with red tailed hawks, what a site seeing them after rabbits.

Mike

Why? I do not know anybody (and believe you me I know some real hard nosed b*ggers who bear no misguided sentimenality towards birds of prey)would wish harm on these creatures. Remember the kite is the emblem of our county, and rightly so - when I was a nipper it was a real rare sighting (even up in the hills of Rhandirmwyn an further into the sticks) if one was seen during a family outing - screech of brakes and everybody piling out of cars for a look. Now that they're ten a penny (almost more common than buzzards around here)there is still a slowing down and a craning of necks.
My colleagues and I do our best to feed them a little treat - they are rather partial to fox!
It's the Christmas holiday - it's a tradition, especially around these parts for people to go out for a walk with the gun, even if it's only the once a year lot.
Know a party of a dozen (large family) beating the bounds of their ancestral farm today - doubtless a few shots will be fired, but certain there won't be any casualties (Unless cousin Ryan gets hung up on a barbed wire fence again!:eek:)

Haven't had time to take my gun for its annual walk yet, maybe tomorrow if I can shake the nippers for an hour or two.

Haven't had time to take my gun for its annual walk yet, maybe tomorrow if I can shake the nippers for an hour or two.

Take them with you, you can always use them as beaters.
My grandfather used to let me tag along when I was six or seven years old. In return I used to let him tag along when he was seventy to eighty years old!

Take them with you, you can always use them as beaters.
My grandfather used to let me tag along when I was six or seven years old. In return I used to let him tag along when he was seventy to eighty years old!

They came fence fixing and sheep moving yesterday, the smallest are still too little to manage brambles ect.

Latest posts

Back