November 8 exams

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Good luck to all ,who sat exams today

I have already put 21st March in my diary, i am not very confident of passing as i miiss read one question

name and describe the effect on colonies of three non viral adult bee diseases and did it for brood

Good luck to all ,who sat exams today

I have already put 21st March in my diary, i am not very confident of passing as i miiss read one question

name and describe the effect on colonies of three non viral adult bee diseases and did it for brood

I did that same paper today - but did the AFB Section C question. I thought it a fairly tricky paper, and the Module 7 I sat straight after was horrid. I'm expecting to retake the Mod 7 paper.

One question, for 15 marks was to describe how to make up a mating nuc from 2 standard national hives. :hairpull:

I've made up nucs before and Apideas but unsure what they were looking for or the significance of starting with 2 hives.

I did that same paper today - but did the AFB Section C question. I thought it a fairly tricky paper, and the Module 7 I sat straight after was horrid. I'm expecting to retake the Mod 7 paper.

One question, for 15 marks was to describe how to make up a mating nuc from 2 standard national hives. :hairpull:

I've made up nucs before and Apideas but unsure what they were looking for or the significance of starting with 2 hives.

getting more depressed the more red wine i drink

On mine I think they wanted Nosema apis and Nosema ceranae and Malpighamameoba mellificae but unsure

Last edited:
Nosema apis and Nosema ceranae are fungi, malpighamoeba mellificae is associated with nosema but the affects of the infection are not known.

Would that be nucs or nuc, with two standard hives you could make a few mating nucs

Nosema apis and Nosema ceranae are fungi, malpighamoeba mellificae is associated with nosema but the affects of the infection are not known.

Malpighamoeba mellificae; in current research it is thought to effect winter bees and reduce their lifespan due to damage to the malpigham tubes and hence inability to remove nitrous waste, you cannot see the effect in summer bees as the reproduce cycle of the amoeba is too long, so only effects bees over winter, hence why older books say no effect

Last edited:
Malpighamoeba mellificae; in current research it is thought to effect winter bees and reduce their lifespan due to damage to the malpigham tubes and hence inability to remove nitrous waste, you cannot see the effect in summer bees as the reproduce cycle of the amoeba is too long, so only effects bees over winter, hence why older books say no effect

I must get some new books then

Do they accept acarine as a disease or only as a pest?

Dysentery should be one, too.

Not sure they would like nosema part 1) apis and part 2) ceranae.

Bizarre bit in yesterday's M6 Section A - the one pointers.

(My paraphrase, since I don't have the exam paper )

Q1 Asked for a colony activity that might be noticed at the end of the flow in early August.

Q6 (or thereabouts) Apart from the end of a flow, when might you see drones being ejected from the hive?

:confused:

Oooerrr - on reading posts 1 and 3, I'm wondering whether I had inadvertently taken a different module! Was certainly expecting something on SHB, with all the fun n games in Italy at the mo - but there was little, if any in the Mod 3 paper that I sat!

...Was certainly expecting something on SHB, with all the fun n games in Italy at the mo - but there was little, if any in the Mod 3 paper that I sat!
Exam setting doesn't react as quickly as a newspaper. There's a process of evolution from the last paper (question set refined) plus getting the syllabus updated if needed, plus the check of "is it on the reading list?" Questions drafted, reviewed by committee, maybe moderated. Then what if you set something based on the Italian infection and a month before the exam there was a massive outbreak somewhere in the UK? You'd look rather dated even if there was little actual experience of it in the UK at that point.

To be fair, there have been efforts to update recently, but it was only a year or two back that exam questions were taking any Nosema to be Nosema apis despite N. ceranae being widespread in Europe since 2004 or 5.

Exam setting doesn't react as quickly as a newspaper. There's a process of evolution from the last paper (question set refined) plus getting the syllabus updated if needed, plus the check of "is it on the reading list?" Questions drafted, reviewed by committee, maybe moderated. Then what if you set something based on the Italian infection and a month before the exam there was a massive outbreak somewhere in the UK? You'd look rather dated even if there was little actual experience of it in the UK at that point.

To be fair, there have been efforts to update recently, but it was only a year or two back that exam questions were taking any Nosema to be Nosema apis despite N. ceranae being widespread in Europe since 2004 or 5.
Thanks Alan - my comment wasn't a criticism (I perceive a hint of a defensive tone), just an observation - but your post does clarify the procedure.

I suspect they are wanting brood from one hive and nurse bees from another?
Sometimes it's difficult to know what they want though. :(

I suspect they are wanting brood from one hive and nurse bees from another?
Sometimes it's difficult to know what they want though. :(

i would suggest it is a frame of emerging brood from each hive with bees shaken off, a stores frame and the bees from perhaps two supers frames from each hive held outside the hive until the flyer have left and only house bees remain

i would suggest it is a frame of emerging brood from each hive with bees shaken off, a stores frame and the bees from perhaps two supers frames from each hive held outside the hive until the flyer have left and only house bees remain

i just shake the bees in and the flyers.... well they fly! job done KSS

March

Where do you have to go to it the modules?

Where do you have to go to it the modules?

To sit the exams?
The local associations arrange their individual venues.

I have no idea what might happen with overseas members (Ireland).

Two important pre-qualifications for putting your name down for these exams are
- BBKA member
- BBKA Basic Assessment passed

Latest posts

Back