Bee breading

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Instructive dialogue from earlier this year …

To be honest, most of the answers you got were typically British
You have made your mind up to be a bee farmer, go and do it.
I have the same plan I have for myself, I only have 2 hives, I stated with 1 and they swarmed, so I caught the swarm, popped them into the nuc that I originally got with the first lot, Bingo 2 hives, yes you will have problems along the way, but you will deal with them as they come along.
Go for it, if you plan it well, by rearing your own queen, breeding your own stock, or buy your queens in, it should cost a lot to get started, its only time you need, you can purchase hive for $40 plus frames and foundation.

Watch this video on Youtube, i found it inspirational
The Sustainable Apiary by Mike Palmer
I cannot post the url as I do not have enough post

If it were that simple you'd think we'd all be doing it, and be millionaires by now!!

Dave, it is simple, what is the difficult part???

I suspect more the 'next William' than the previous one.
Though IIRC there was some dyslexia there as well.

I've avoided contributing to this thread so far ... strikes me the OP is clueless and heading for a disaster .. 'a fool and his money' comes to mind and there are enough threads on this forum with some excellent advice for beginner beekeepers to point any would be beekeeper in the right direction without any additional advice being proffered by me.

I just find it a bit disappointing that someone has the sole motivation, in keeping bees, as making money from them. I'm sure the vast majority of us on here would love to make a few quid from our efforts - indeed to break even would be nice - but it strikes me that most of us are in it for the bees and any positive financial aspects are something that follow with a bit of luck and after a lot of hard work.

Seems Abba Bees is looking for £80,000 crowdfunding for 3000 hives now!

I've avoided contributing to this thread so far ... strikes me the OP is clueless and heading for a disaster .. 'a fool and his money' comes to mind and there are enough threads on this forum with some excellent advice for beginner beekeepers to point any would be beekeeper in the right direction without any additional advice being proffered by me.

I just find it a bit disappointing that someone has the sole motivation, in keeping bees, as making money from them. I'm sure the vast majority of us on here would love to make a few quid from our efforts - indeed to break even would be nice - but it strikes me that most of us are in it for the bees and any positive financial aspects are something that follow with a bit of luck and after a lot of hard work.

Excellent post!

I'm only a newbee myself but agree, there's sufficient information already there to guide someone, I'm definitely in it for the Bees myself but the one thing that struck me was the statement that money was no object! In which case employ an expert beekeeper or ten and go from there, also as was pointed out bee breeding is about selection for desirable traits that takes time so there's no quick buck to be made.

I may be wrong here but the way i see it that person has been extracting the urine out of all the helpful genuine folk on here.

I think he knows what he is doing already but making out he does not, like i said i may be wrong and it will not be the first time, and i know it's a old thread.

Last edited:
Go to work with some professional beekeepers and look, couple of years how it goes. You get only wrong advices from these back yard beekeepers.

But keep your wife in steady work if you are going to be a beekeeper.

I agree, go work for a local bee farmer for a year or so get a reference then the world is your oyster.

Latest posts

Back