What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here queuing up to get pollen into both hives today.... allot of bees today looked to be orientating... will these be new bees?.

Didn't do nothing with the bees as I'm working, but managed to finish a bit earlier 430pm went straight out side and picked 5 bee's up from in front of the hive and cupped them in my hands as they were moving slowly 5 - 10 min later they were moving around more 2 flew in and the other three walked of my hand home.. With willow pollen . I feel good da da da.

Watched the Bees today bringing loads of yellow pollen in then went to a walk and found there source, a willow tree, happy days. I then swapped my super from the bottom off the brood box back on top, all set for summer

Very warm and sunny today and bees very actively flying so did quick check (less than 2 minutes each) on the two hives in my garden. Saw both marked queens. Lots of stores present including pollen. One had 4 combs of brood and the other had 5 but in both colonies the brood only occupies about a quarter of each comb. One had genetic bald brood.

Don't expect to be able to check my hives in the out apiary for a while as the farm track to it is so muddy and water logged after weeks of rain that my car probably won't get down it (don't have a 4 by 4 these days).

They were wintered on double broods but all bees and brood in top BC so removed the lower BC's as all combs in them were empty.

Last edited:
Had a quick check into a few nucs, one was Q- others were strong. Put a new clear crown board on a hive with a Plastic Miller feeder, I really hope we have seen the back of this winter.

Inspected a hive with a lady who I help occasionally. It was her only hive - and its second winter. In a wooden national with double brood and poly cosy. All alive, four frames of bees. Considering its position near the top of the valley 250 meters above sea level and exposed to the northerly winds (2 meter drifts in the track to it in March), they have done well to survive.

Added an eke, fondant and pollen patty. Taking in pollen but starvation due to another cold/bad spell always a possibility at this time of year...

Gorgeous views of Cheshire Plain and Jodrell Bank as we sat on the terrace drinking tea..

LOts of activity today, orange pollen being taken into both hives.

Hive 1: removed contact feeder and nadired super, which was empty and nicely cleaned (thank you girls). Found during quick inspection that the brood box was almost full - six brood frames and four stores - so I plonked the empty super on top above a QE. See below for my thoughts on feeding. No sign of disease.

Hive 2: Feisty as usual. Far as I could tell, as they're hard to inspect with my every move prompting a fresh cloud of bees to buzz around my head and bang against the veil, there are three frames of rather patchy brood and about two or three frames of stores. So I removed the contact feeder and left them to it; they've enough stores for the next 10 days or so, I reckon, especially since pussy willow and red currant are now out here. No need for a super as there's plenty of room.

1641babbb3644a741f4e4d8b121b434f.jpg

If no-one is around....... lead pellets at speed do a good job :)

I thought that when I read the original post but my “Political Correctness Filter” is set a little high at the moment and needs adjusting [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'll try to bring a bit of sun...
83953f12e2b43980382c90293dcefc57.jpg

Sent from my SM-J710F using Tapatalk

Wusses worry about rain.
Real beekeepers get on and feed in it - Association hives.

Checked my hive today 3 frames of brood,queen spotted and looking good.
There is still a lot of ivy honey in brood box should I take some out and replace with foundation? For more laying space

I have about half a box of stores in each of mine still. They weigh a ton. Going to thin out a couple of frames to make some space for brood and a way to add some new frames in. I wonder what the little sods have been eating all winter.

Tomorrow I'll get my first proper look at how the colony is doing, as I'll be able to compare it to the situation of the last inspection, which was my first after my first winter.

Temperature is expected to be around 22 celsius and nicely sunny, so no problem there.
I'm seeing lots of forage around, so they should be ok, but I won't know for sure until I look at them.

Latest posts

Back