Catching a Swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorrick

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I had been training (people) in Lowestoft from about 5 am this morning when I received a text from the wife at 11 am to say the bee hive behind the green house was going nuts (Technical Term). It turned out they had swarmed. In the space of a week from checking the hive. Luckily they had swarmed onto a Garden ornamental Arch "didn't please the wife much as she wanted to plant the potatoes out". I managed to get home whilst it was still warm and sunny and they where still there and luckily I had a had a transport box at home, I have put a frame of food and a frame of Brood in there and shook the swarm into the box. I have added the remaining frames and will have to pick up a new hive tomorrow. I have checked the old hive that is on a Brood and a Half, with a super on it and it is still really full ? but I found 6 Q/C so have removed all but the best one and now will have to wait and see. The other one of my two original hives is chugging along quite nicely, no Q/C's. I attach a picture. It certainly keeps you on your toes

When you hive the swarm, make sure you put a QE under the BB for a week or so; also clip the queens so the can't bugger off taking a retinue full of stores/honey with 'em.

Latest posts

Back