Used plastic buckets

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beenovice

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, I have someone who can supply used plastic buckets in 5 and 10 litre sizes. They are used, and used to have yoghurt and mayonnaise in them. If cleaned out can they be used as honey storage buckets? Is there any restrictions on using used food buckets?

At approx. £1.86 from P's for NEW 30 lb buckets plus p&p. Is it worth the effort?

Tim

I have used these before with no problems. Also keep them to store decent comb in before melting down. Extra buckets always useful.

30 litre lidded buckets at 'The Range' store £9.99 . Food save and strongly made !
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

30 litre lidded buckets at 'The Range' store £9.99 . Food save and strongly made !
VM

#

thanks for the heads up on that one VM .... handy to know !

There're in the home brew department .
VM

VM

There're in the home brew department .
VM

Brew buckets (with lid) are usually cheaper than that in Wilkinson's.

For honey, Paynes 30lb buckets are surely cheap enough to be a no-brainer. The contents of one could sell for £180, so I think its worth it to avoid any risk.
However, mayo tubs and the like can be very useful for hivetools, brace comb, prop, etc.

Mayo buckets and the like can be used as short lived contact feeders. I say short lived as the plastic, lids in particular, goes brittle within about a season... As said, very handy for use as a scrap wax bucket or for a washing soda mix. While the lid is intact, it's a good fit.

Tested out the brew buckets from The Range today... very strong! (Be careful, there are other buckets with brewing kit in for twice the price.)

32l Food safe brewing Bucket (£9.99) + Hole Saw (£3.99) + Honey Gate (£8.50) = Settling tank (£22.48)

These normally retail at over £30!

Back