Swarming tendencies after artificial swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beenovice

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was half way through a bailey comb change when I had to carry out an AS. The outcome of this means that I have a the old queen, who seems to be laying very well, in a new brood box with new foundation that is being drawn fast. There is also two supers on top. My question is :- are they likely to swarm from this hive again this year or "should" that satisfy them? I know there is no definitive answer, but I am just after opinions.
Thanks

I had a colony prepare to swarm twice in my first year of beekeeping (Carnies I suspect....the beginner's bee :roll eyes: )
They were trying it at one more time at the end of the season.

Carnolians have a good temperament and so offered to beginners, but are swarm crazy. Will they swarm again? Yes and again and again .....

My reasons for calling them beginners' bees is a little cynical. Yes they are gentle bees but they are better at making bees than honey; easier to make nucs to sell than jars of honey.
If you don't keep an eye on them this propensity to brood at the expense of stores makes them swarmy; just what a novice could do without.

I love my Buckies but they are so sticky!!!!

My reasons for calling them beginners' bees is a little cynical. Yes they are gentle bees but they are better at making bees than honey; easier to make nucs to sell than jars of honey.
If you don't keep an eye on them this propensity to brood at the expense of stores makes them swarmy; just what a novice could do without.

But think of all that valuable practice! This season I plan to get in at least one Pagden, a Demaree or two, and maybe a Snelgrove just for the hell of it. And what about that weird Russian technique with a ramp? Gotta try that as well ;-)

:)
Depends on whether you like playing with your bees.
Me....I like to let them get on with it with little interference from me save keeping them healthy and in situ..............and have a little honey at the end of it.

:)
Depends on whether you like playing with your bees.
Me....I like to let them get on with it with little interference from me save keeping them healthy and in situ..............and have a little honey at the end of it.

I was only joking :) One AS is quite enough for the time being.

Just gone through the brood on original site which had foundation and original queen. About 8 frames now drawn with brood, pollen and stores. Some play cups so I'll need to keep an eye on them.

If these queen cups turn into charged queen cells, do you think a Demaree might be the way to go. I ask this because after carrying out an AS already, I have two depleted hives. If I carry out a Demaree, it will at least keep one hive all together.
I am concerned that I am asking this hive to do such a lot. It has a brood which was foundation and is now partially drawn. It has a super which is mostly filled. It has a second super which is in the early stages of being drawn, and if I Demaree, it will have a new brood of foundation which will need to be drawn.
If the play cups develop and my hand is forced, what should I do? What would you do?

Charged queen (swarm type) cells indicate they are already in swarm mode. The normal antidote for swarm mode is A/S.

Charged queen (swarm type) cells indicate they are already in swarm mode. The normal antidote for swarm mode is A/S.

Hi RAB,
The play cups(about 8) are mostly along the bottoms of the frames. There is nothing in them at this time, however I doubt it will stay this way for long. If they become charged, would a Demaree be a better option than a pagden where the hive is split up again? I have already performed a pagden about 2 weeks ago!

Hi RAB,
The play cups(about 8) are mostly along the bottoms of the frames. There is nothing in them at this time, however I doubt it will stay this way for long. If they become charged, would a Demaree be a better option than a pagden where the hive is split up again? I have already performed a pagden about 2 weeks ago!

I will be interested in the answer to your question, as I find myself in almost exactly the same situation, though with only 4 play cups.

...not much alternative: you'll just have to A/S your A/S, and hope they run out of impetus before you run out of space and equipment!

You can recycle the first A/S BBox with QC by removing Q and uniting over the 2nd BB (if you see what I mean)

from my experience a demaree is less likley to solve a swarmy bees tendancy to swarm than an AS,

i have already heard of a demaree failing this year and the old queen leaving at week 1

So lets get the facts right, are Terry G et al saying that the freshly drawn foundation of the queen right side at week 2 has play cups at the base, or is it the old frame with Queen that has the play cups

if it is the latter i would just shake off the bees and add the old frame to the Queen cell part (parent hive) of the AS and check that frame for emergency cells on it in 6 days

Last edited:
from my experience a demaree is less likley to solve a swarmy bees tendancy to swarm than an AS,

i have already heard of a demaree failing this year and the old queen leaving at week 1

So lets get the facts right, are Terry G et al saying that the freshly drawn foundation of the queen right side at week 2 has play cups at the base, or is it the old frame with Queen that has the play cups

if it is the latter i would just shake off the bees and add the old frame to the Queen cell part (parent hive) of the AS and check that frame for emergency cells on it in 6 days

It is the old frames which have the play cups not the part-drawn foundation, other than one play cup that has appeared inexplicably in the first super.

Latest posts

Back